Pirelli's 2012 PZero tyres

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2012 pirelli tyres ...who will gain and who will lose ?

I always thought it was a reactionary measure to losing the ebd. The cars already make more downforce at the front than the rear, even with ebd. Therefore it stands to reason that the purpose is to help balance the car, and to at least give the tire performance a little more consistency with wear across the four tires.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

It's a trade off though isn't it. In slow corners you'll have less rear downforce but you'd still get a boost on mechanical grip
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

Blown Diffusers will bring as much as 3 seconds off lap times at some tracks with some cars going by the 2011 cars. About 40% of this time will be clawed back thru the closed season, if not already done.

I recon it will just tighten up the grid, Caterham, Marussia and Hispania will all gain as much as 1.5 to 2 seconds in time to the mid feild with the EBD tech gone.

Id expect theese teams to gain massivly, especially Caterham. The top teams will loose out, but as ive said before the new Pirelli 2012 rubber will also change.

The current super soft will be slightly harder, enough to make it 0.2 of a second slower than the current super soft.
The current soft will become slightly softer, and this will bring it up to .3 of a second faster than the current, thus bringing it into the 0.8 of a second per 5km that Pirelli want the step being.
The current Medium will become the new hard as it will be 1.5 to 1.8 seconds slower than the new softs.
The current hard will be ditched. Its more of a uluta hard than a hard at present.
The new medium will be a step gap inwetween the current medium and softs, with a 0.8 gap to either.

The new rear shoulder profile will also be important to get a handle on as it will be less round and more square seemingly, meaning that the teams will have to run the tires more upright as well, this is to stop teams running a tire above the maximum camber as Pirelli will state, and this is also to become a rule in F1, as the camber angle some teams have been running is as much as a full degree over the limits of the tire.

The front profile will change a little, buy it will change more in construction than profile to give the car a more liniar degredation than the current ones.

I recon that Pirelli in 2012 wil play more of a role than 2011.

However i also belive that the Tire allocations for 2012 are to be changing as well for the unused heard set from Saturday/Sunday to be transfered to the Friday running whiotch will mean that the teams can in theory put another 20 laps on their cars, and with a posible extra set of options as well being touted for running a driver in FP1 this soon makes tire stratagies look very diffrent.

Runor has it that each car will have 2 sets of new primes and 5 sets of options for Saturday/Sunday running.

However a resolution for Q3 is set to be discussed, with each car having a set of options being put aside for Q3 for all cars a posible solution. However the Q3 format may or may not be changing in 2013 if Pirelli arnt happy, the result may be Q3 being reduced to a 5 minuite session where everyone has a single 3 lap run for pole, and everyone must go out on options and then start on those boots.

The main area for the cars will be the EBD and frontal aero map changes with the lower front noses being the main areas where downforce will be robbed, but a good slice will be clawed back before the start of the season. As current levels of downforce with the EBD now exceed in many cased downforce created by the DDDs.

ubrben

Re: Pirelli's 2012 PZero tyres

Never mind - looks like Michelin will be back soon...

Ben

peteskar

Personaly I hope that F1 does away with Pirelli, as a master german car tech we have nothing but issues with them, (just like in F1) seems like they can't make a good street or race tire. Don't balance correctly and don't wear well, as much as I like the action in the pits more laps at speed and being able to use the whole track (marble issue) would make racing more exciting in my eyes. In my eyes Michelin or Conti make a better, but why not let each team pick the manufacture they desire?
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

NewtonMeter

I also enjoyed the cliff and really don't hope to see a Bridgestone type of tyre again. Ok, I'll admit having a tyre last 5 laps is not on. But I also don't want teams run to 10 laps from the end only to stop for tyres because they're obligated by the rules to do so.

Because if you have teams stopping only because the rules says so, I'd much rather have every driver choose his tyre preference after friday prac and he gets to run only what he chose. And if he chose wrong, he'll have to live with it for the rest of the weekend.

That, imo, would be much more sporting anyway than to tell teams they HAVE to run both types because Bernie says so. Then Ferrari can run as much soft tyres as they like and Mercedes can run as much harder ones and everyone in between can run their cars at their optimum anyway. And that's what I call racing.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

ubrben

I would imagine if the French return it will be 1 tyre per race in conjunction with the new engine regs and a crap-load of "green" marketing.

Ben

Pierce89

MIKEY_! wrote:Anyway I liked the 'cliff', I think the stuff about the tires being rubbish was uncalled for since they were supposed to be faster wearing. But they do need to fix the marbles problem.
I really hope they do not make all the compounds more durable for next year, those tires were one of the best bits about this year once it became clear vettel would run away with the championship.
+1 I could not agree more
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Jersey Tom

How about they work on getting a more competitive field first, rather than having to rely on a poor product to make things interesting?

Might as well be asking engine manufacturers to make their V8's blow up randomly to add "excitement" to the sport.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

Paul Hembery wrote: Preparations for the 2012 season are well underway, so it will be really interesting to hear the thoughts of the drivers about the new hard and soft tyres that we will be trying out in Brazil.

We’ve already collected plenty of information on the new soft tyre from the young driver test, so it will be useful to compare that to real race data.

It’s important not to get too distracted by the names of the tyres though: what we’re calling a ‘soft’ for now could end up as a medium for next year, as that’s what the testing process is all about.

In general, the tyres are going to be less conservative next year as the second half of this season has shown how well the teams have understood our product, allowing us to make some reasonably aggressive choices such as supersoft and soft for Korea.

We’re delighted to be ending the season in Brazil: not only is it a legendary circuit with an amazing atmosphere but it is also a key market for Pirelli.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

munks

she_spools_180 wrote:From my understanding flatspotting, or rather susceptibility to flatspotting is directly proportional to tyre compound. So the softer the tyre, the more easily it will flatspot when locked. So as far as I know, you can't really engineer in a 'flatspot resistance' without making the tyre compound harder...
This seems right to me. There's a lot of energy being dissipated in a lock-up which is going to result in high temperatures (harder compounds -> less grip -> less energy dissipated -> lower temperature). And I doubt that you could raise the ignition temperature of the rubber much without ruining some other more important property of the compound.

lebesset

to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

jamsbong

Looks like Pirelli is continuing to add variables to optimising the car. This means no one can relax from learning the 2011 tires, as they have to re-learn again.

There is a number of speculations from me:
1. If rear have more grip, maybe Webber might like that. hehe...
2. The car may be able to drift a bit more without loosing too much tire wear.
3. Car would understeer and make Vettel/Hamilton slower...

We'll see on the next race.

MIKEY_!

Jersey Tom wrote:How about they work on getting a more competitive field first, rather than having to rely on a poor product to make things interesting?

Might as well be asking engine manufacturers to make their V8's blow up randomly to add "excitement" to the sport.
That would be pretty exciting :lol:

flynfrog

Jersey Tom wrote:How about they work on getting a more competitive field first, rather than having to rely on a poor product to make things interesting?

werd bring back a tire war