Front Wing F-Duct

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Holm86

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Mercedes had a passive F-duct rear wing last year before the could make it active.

Perhaps this extra intake on top of the W02's nose has something to do with this??

Holm86

But in the article form auto motor und sport it says that the hole usualy is glued shut.

But your right it could be a possibility.

volarchico
volarchico

Re: Mercedes MGP W03

Don't really believe it. They have great freedom on the front wing. Why rely on a duct (for stall OR for blowing) when you can just design a different profile and get the same results.

beelsebob
beelsebob

volarchico wrote:Don't really believe it. They have great freedom on the front wing. Why rely on a duct (for stall OR for blowing) when you can just design a different profile and get the same results.
Because this takes airflow from somewhere where it does nothing much useful, and puts it somewhere where it does do something useful.

shelly
shelly

Also the duct gives you the possibility of having a switch between two different configurations - ideally high downforce setup and low drag setup. It expands your performance envelope.
twitter: @armchair_aero

volarchico
volarchico

Ok, interesting. Maybe F-duct is just not a good description since a driver-controlled fluidic switch is still banned by the current rules. And I guess the "no slotted profile" rule only applies to the rear wing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized my mistake. You can have a fluidic switch without any driver control!

shelly
shelly

The interesting part of thsi is also that having separate piping for left and right side, it can e tuned to produce ncie effects with rspect to yaw.
For example: low drag when the inputs from the two sides is the same (straightline), high downforce when the input from the two sides is different (yaw-cornering)

volarchico
volarchico

I still think the concept of yaw-cornering is a misconception. The relative velocity of air 50 mm on either side of the centerline is not going to be that different.

shelly
shelly

Agrre that to emphasize yaw effect the two inlets should be apart; but the fact that even if they are close, one shades the other could be enough.

volarchico
volarchico

Front Wing F-Duct

I thought we need a place to discuss the function and merits of the proposed Mercedes front wing F-duct that is being tested as per Lorenzo's post.

Will this be similar to the super-circulation thread with an attempt to increase downforce or more like the old rear-wing F-duct used as drag reduction?

How will it be switched on/off? Or will it?

Will any other teams copy the idea?
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote: And according to AMUS, Mercedes is developing an F duct for next year

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 51930.html

Ferraripilot

The more I think about this, the more I can see MB having a 2012 spec lower front nose but with a substantially larger hole in the nose with of course shorter verticle wing mounts, but perhaps straked back (W02 has them forward) in the interested of not only gathering as much CFM as possible but also gathering as much volume and velocity (hence straking backwards) as possible.

Ferraripilot

It looks as if the two oval parts mounted inboard and behind a pair of the duct slots is there to flow air below the car thus further aiding the diffuser?

marekk
marekk

Re: Front Wing F-Duct

To be honest, i don't see any reason for air to go this route. Pressure is about the same at inlet and outlet IMO.

volarchico
volarchico

I'm very skeptical too and don't see the benefit...but sometimes my instinct is proven wrong and I learn something new. Interested in seeing what the other technically-minded people here think as well!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its to make sure the air isnt as turbulent at a low level and provide more air to the diffuser at a higher speed thus giving more downforce seemingly.

Could this be combined with the Red Bull Flexi wing for alot more downforce???