Rear crash structure, a closer look.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Mystery Steve

Re: Rear crash structure, a closer look.

I just took a second look at the pictures and realized I hadn't noticed there are two different orientations of the honeycomb. To be clear, I was referring to the inner-most section where the hollow cores are oriented longitudinally with respect to the car. The two outer-most layers of honeycomb are for additional bending strength, similar to the honeycomb core used in the rest of the monocoque. It's interesting to see that there are essentially two honeycomb sandwiches used.

The goal with the crash structure is to absorb as much energy as possible without transferring it to the car and driver. Ideally, the outer two layers would absorb just enough energy so that the inner core doesn't get annihilated and can still perform its intended task. I guess the engineers calculated that the 3 layers of carbon layup, along with their 2 accompanying honeycomb layers, was just enough to be able to take some of the load off the inner honeycomb core while still not transferring too much energy to the driver.

bhall

F1snake's Honda RA107 from his Flickr photostream:

ringo

Could the threads have been molded?

For Sure!!

hardingfv32

Brian.G wrote:here is where the piece was taken from,Image

Are these inserts two pieces, a threaded section and an alignment sleeve?

Brian

Brian.G

Yes, two pieces.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

thisisatest

i'm not grasping how the alignment sleeve functions. could someone draw it out, or otherwise explain it? it IS a threaded insert for a bolt to thread into, right? or does that piece function as the screw itself?

hardingfv32

thisisatest wrote: it IS a threaded insert for a bolt to thread into, right?
They are using a shoulder bolt. A bolt with a precisely machined shaft OD that makes for a very precise fit with the sleeve. Provides reduced play or movement in the joint and stronger, in shear, joint for a given size of bolt. .

Brian

Brian.G

Bumped for user Billshoe.

BG
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will