Ballast

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 am

Ballast (and relatively high minimum weights) is a good thing.

Reduce and/or restrict ballast? No thanks.
Grip is a four letter word.

2 is the new #1.
Jersey Tom

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:25 am

The only logical reason a team would run a car overweight is to meet the mandated distribution target.
Light cars are (almost) always faster than heavier cars.

Question ....
When is the mandatory weight distribution established .... empty tanks (I suspect this is the case), full tanks (not likely) and is the driver (with seat) included in the measurement.??

If the latter is the case, it may explain the concept of running a car heavier to offset a light or heavy driver and get the distribution correct

I also understood that balast (official balast that is) could only be placed in the chasis between the front and rear wheel axels. Not in the nose.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."
Ian P.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 am

1.9 Weight :
Is the weight of the car with the driver, wearing his complete racing apparel, at all times during
the Event.

4.4 Ballast :
Ballast can be used provided it is secured in such a way that tools are required for its removal.
It must be possible to fix seals if deemed necessary by the FIA technical delegate

Brian
hardingfv32

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 am

What exactly do they use for ballast? Does anyone have any pics?
Box! Box!
Jeffsvilleusa

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 am

machin wrote:I've been an advocate of the 'driver + seat minimum weight' rule in the past.

That would also equal out the effect of driver size. The likes of Webber and Kubica have to be on starvation diets to keep their weight down due to their height.

If you decouple the driver and car weight then teams with overweight cars would still be overweight. How about a combined seat and driver weight of say 85kg and a separate weight for the car.

As JT says, allowing low car weights merely opens up an arms race for the lightest car.
richard_leeds

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 pm

richard_leeds wrote:.... allowing low car weights merely opens up an arms race for the lightest car.

The "arms race" exists now - the lighter the chassis, the more scope for ballast. The lightest chassis is not likely to be quickest for stiffness reasons. I suspect that would be the case even without a regulated minimum weight.
DaveW

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:12 pm

richard_leeds wrote:If you decouple the driver and car weight then teams with overweight cars would still be overweight. How about a combined seat and driver weight of say 85kg and a separate weight for the car.

Good idea.

Another thought: Horse Racing..... Let us take it a step farther and vary the weight based on the points the teams or drivers have!

Brian
hardingfv32

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:13 pm

hardingfv32 wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:If you decouple the driver and car weight then teams with overweight cars would still be overweight. How about a combined seat and driver weight of say 85kg and a separate weight for the car.

Good idea.

Another thought: Horse Racing..... Let us take it a step farther and vary the weight based on the points the teams or drivers have!

Brian

Touring Cars already have weight based handicaps.
db__

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:What exactly do they use for ballast? Does anyone have any pics?

tungsten i think. some used depleted uranium(!) until it was banned.
thisisatest

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:19 am

Ah, because of the high density. Any idea of what shape it is formed in or how it is attached?

to be honest, I always envisioned bags of sand, but I guess I'm not surprised it's not the case.
Box! Box!
Jeffsvilleusa

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:37 am

Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).
Fil

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:49 am

cheers! =D>
Box! Box!
Jeffsvilleusa

Previous

Return to Aerodynamics, chassis and tyres