Aerodynamic Efficiency of F1 Cars

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
strad

Re: Aerodynamic Efficiency of F1 Cars

The bottom line or tl;dr version is that we define efficiency based on the situation. This is defined by the rules and what we are trying to accomplish. A mclaren is efficient compared to an HRT. This is a reasonable comparision within this context. Said mclaren has nowhere near the efficiency of a glider. But they're incomparable. A mclaren is efficient in the context of a 2012 F1 car. This is not necessarily true in other contexts. This is why one can say an F1 car with a ton of drag is aero efficient, because they are saying so in comparison to other F1 cars.
Thank You...that's what I was looking for..It seemed to me some were saying something different. With your definition I can agree. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Aerodynamic Efficiency of F1 Cars

Just_a_fan wrote:I think Silverstone might be the sort of track that you're looking for. They hit approx 300kph 5 times in the lap and have a number of high speed, high-g corners (Copse: 287kph/5g; The Becketts complex: 1.5g, -3.7g, 5g, -3.9g all whilst cornering at between 297kph and 211kph; Stowe: 200kph/2.9g; Club: 226kph/3.2g; Abbey (no idea but it's 250kph+ and probably 3g+)).

It's a high downforce circuit if ever there was one - you don't take a corner at 250kph and 5g without a lot of downforce. Monaco isn't a high downforce circuit because, although they put a lot of wing on the cars, they never go that quickly so the downforce figures aren't huge.
Thanks ! ....... the diagram of Silverstone shows 287 kph 5g lateral for Copse

Yesterday's story on the home page titled 'Renault Sport ............ gives 260 kph 3.5g for Copse

I have doubts about 5g lateral as tabulated on the Silverstone diagram (why does the Danner sidebar say 5g compression?)

or 5g lateral might be shorthand for, say, 4.5g centripetal acceleration component (towards the centre of turn), simultaneous with a longitudinal accaleration component (combination of 'tyre cornering resistance',trail braking,engine thrust,aero drag ) of say 2.15g
(making 5g resultant)
there would be an aero 'side force' contributing to centripetal acceleration ?

or did the 5g actually come under braking ? (5g braking coincident with gradient change= 5g compression)

presumably these readings are corrected for body roll/pitch ?

real 5g centripetally sounds a bit high ?

any takers ?? ......... thanks in advance !!