McLaren Wheel Nuts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Re: McLaren Wheel Nuts

The ferrari threads have a taller crest and larger pitch, VS the low fine crest on the Mac thread. I can surely say that the Mac is more susceptible to galling or even foreign debris. It's a no-brainer Mclaren need to change to the Ferrari system.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

marcush.
marcush.

iยดd think they need to complete their own analysis and act from there.
One part of this analysis is to look at the competitors solutions in wheel attachment.

Force india did away with the drive pegs a long time ago for example -to me a quite clever line of thought considering the trouble with drive pegs in recent years.

SiLo

Any pic of the force india threads then without the drive pegs? Would be nice to compare the two.
Felipe Baby!

marcush.
marcush.

picture courtesy our forum member scarbs( taken from his website)

from the same site FI wheel :

marcush.
marcush.

http://www.rockmore-intl.com/downloads/ ... XR32PR.pdf

Iยดd think something like this is more reliable and not able to cross thread and is not vulnerable to debris...

PlatinumZealot

Maybe not, that thread looks strong and self cleaning, but the clearance between inner and outer thread is still very small.. Look at the "flats" between that thread and compare it with the flats in the Ferrari thread. The Ferrari thread flats are very wide. This gives a good space for debris.. Though I must admit, I need to see the female thread on the nut before I can say that.

marcush.
marcush.

A drillingrig must be the ultimate of work in the field -temperature high and low ,mud ,sand ,impact ,what have you .You just cannot afford any galling or connections disconneted when not needed but perfectly separated as quick as possible when needed..

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:A drillingrig must be the ultimate of work in the field -temperature high and low ,mud ,sand ,impact ,what have you .You just cannot afford any galling or connections disconneted when not needed but perfectly separated as quick as possible when needed..
When I was working for Atlas Copco Rock Drills some years ago, we used "round threads" for such applications;

http://www.moore-international.com/lead ... hread.html

http://www.google.no/search?q=round+thr ... 00&bih=799
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

PlatinumZealot

Round threads for fastening or for a power-screw?

michl420
michl420

On all the pictures you can see the threat is bulletproof, althougt the Ferrari-style looks best for me. You canยดt damange the treat because the axle leads the nut. Everything the guys need is a realistic Training and self-confidence.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

I am commenting in this thread regarding the 2018 Haas "cross threading" incident in Australia....twice.
Major incident as it prevented Haas from finishing.
No answers.
This thread contains a lot of relevant information and I would have thought things have evolved in a further 5 or so years to guard against cross threading.
With Higbee thread ends, right materials and the minor diameter lead-on (preventing tilt) it would be almost impossible.
Looking on this incident from team managers point of view, 1. Haas would investigate and 2. all others would be reviewing to ensure the same doesn't happen.
How long since the last cross threading?

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

2015 Ferrari at 1:16 front axle: 8mm pitch x 60 - 65mm diameter x 2 full threads? left hand thread and aluminium nut material (from red bull video 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iauvfSHdiQ)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkeEjlWlbI

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Was Haas' problem confirmed to be cross threading? It seems strange that it would happen twice, caused by two different mechanics, on different corners of different vehicles using different equipment.

Anyone know what kind of threads they are using? Same as Ferrari? I'd have thought they used multi-start coarse threads or maybe more likely quick start threads. These are very hard to cross thread.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's more likely a heat and/or tolerance related issue than an actual problem with the thread form itself.
Maybe HAAS being HAAS decided to machine their own nuts to match the Ferrari hubs :?: