Possible Mercedes WO3 suspension concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

zyphro wrote:
Would this suspension trick bring in more tyre performance?

That's precisely my question. But I'm also wondering if it's harming the tires more than helping in some situations.

marcush.

I believe it´s not that hard to design a system to separate roll from pitch reaction but it is very hard to design a system that does so with some useful transition under combined pitch and cornering ..

marcush.

I believe it´s not that hard to design a system to separate roll from pitch reaction but it is very hard to design a system that does so with some useful transition under combined pitch and cornering ..

xpensive

marcush. wrote:I believe it´s not that hard to design a system to separate roll from pitch reaction but it is very hard to design a system that does so with some useful transition under combined pitch and cornering ..
With a mercury-based hydraulic system, anything is possible marcush.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

The system does ring the ferrofluid bell inside my head ...but i have no clue if this could be related.

xpensive

marcush. wrote:The system does ring the ferrofluid bell inside my head ...but i have no clue if this could be related.
What you need for an accelleration-dependent system to work is high density, mercury is 13.4 g/cc, 15.4 times hydraulic oil.

What's this ferrofluid anyway?

marcush.

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote:The system does ring the ferrofluid bell inside my head ...but i have no clue if this could be related.
What you need for an accelleration-dependent system to work is high density, mercury is 13.4 g/cc, 15.4 times hydraulic oil.

What's this ferrofluid anyway?

ferrofluid is a sealing technique avoiding stick slip effects and allowing physically vaccum tight sealing ...

xpensive

Right, I found it on Wiki, remember it now, sometimes used in roller bearings contained by a magnetic field.

Density?

marcush.

between 1,2kg/dm³ to 2.05kg/dm³ so not what we are looking for...

Gridlock

I can't find it now but in China (I think) I pointed out Schuey was adjusting the brake bias (down by left knee) after the launch but before turn 1 - why not adjust it on the grid? Circumstantial m'lud?

Pages 1-157 of the previous W03 speculation thread covered why you can't have mercury on an F1 car, or as air-freight, so it's not quicksilver in the pipes, but it could be something similar. Or it could just be the standard boggo interlinked systems that other teams run, rather than something exotic. If anyone's running exotic suspension I'd point to Ren... Lotus, what with their speed and their bumpy nose and their plain jane exhausts...

Raptor22

since we are already sensitised to secondary effects, ......similar that provide electricity within the suspension could be used to polarise a ferrofluid...

it would fall within the intension of harnessing KERS energy but in an application not used for drive

just a thought, load the guns. shields at 100%

PlatinumZealot

scarbs wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:Well, seems like when they developed their interlinked suspension, an aero guy had a beer with one of the suspension guys and thougth.....interconnect front and rear....wait....i can do something about it as well :D
Or rather Renaults engineer joined Mercedes and introduced what Renault, Ferrari and McLaren have had for several years?
I am going to agree with Scarb's here. Hydraulic interlinked suspension is nothing new and it has not the implications of the mercury suspension.
-An important section is the chassis and suspension. Brawn said that the car literally "think" when accelerating and braking. The damping system is interconnected four-wheel hydraulically compensates for the imbalance produced under braking and acceleration. The system already introduced last year, but this season they have perfected a new level, because last year it added a posteriori, and this time is fully integrated into the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

You mean this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorhe ... _aerospace

Magnetorheological fluid that is used in shock absorbers?

You need some kind of electronics to change the magnetic field. Maybe potentiometers located on the torsion bar and swaybars to change the field current in a magnetic winding that encircles the hydraulic lines.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gridlock

10.1.2 The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to the suspension system while the car is in motion.
Fairly black and white. No brake bias-controlled (i.e. driver operated) adjustments to suspension seems possible.

Raptor22

it seems we're going to have the legality debate all over again... #-o