Possible Mercedes WO3 suspension concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32

Re: Possible Mercedes WO3 suspension concepts

Just_a_fan wrote:
3. With the DDRS, as the rear is unloaded, the front is also unloaded so the car stays flatter. Under braking the rear DRS will close and the rear will start to generate downforce again before the front does (because of the finite time it takes for the system to "talk" to the front wing). Thus as the driver hits the brakes the nose dips slightly but the front wing is still in "low down-force" mode so it doesn't dip fully. As the front wing comes back in to "downforce" mode, the car's speed is already dropping (about 0.5seconds after hitting the brakes but that's enough to have dropped the speed a bit in these cars) so the dip isn't as big as it would normally be - the ride height change is less.
I question plank wear is ever an issue on most straights. From discussions about the 'see saw' splitter is seemed to be the consensus was that plank wear came from track irregularities, curbs. etc.

I also wonder how much forward weight transfer there is under braking compared to the loss of down-force from the DRS. I have a number for the DRS flap down-force, but need to calculate the weight transfer. What is the Braking G load and the estimated CG of the cars?

Brian

Just_a_fan

I don't think it's about plank wear but stability. You don't want the car touching the ground under braking because it'll be unstable.

As I said previously, this was an article in Race Tech. I like it as a concept over the rather contrived funny suspension systems proposed by others becuase it's simple, effective, cheap and legal. Any form of funny suspension is in very real danger of being illegal as well as complicated to design, build, install and set up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32

Just_a_fan wrote:I don't think it's about plank wear but stability. You don't want the car touching the ground under braking because it'll be unstable.

As I said previously, this was an article in Race Tech. I like it as a concept over the rather contrived funny suspension systems proposed by others becuase it's simple, effective, cheap and legal. Any form of funny suspension is in very real danger of being illegal as well as complicated to design, build, install and set up.
1) By definition if you are not wearing out the plank, you are not bottoming during breaking. Plank DQ's are very rare.

2) We have no evidence that that the DDRS is effective in this stated application.

Brian

mep

To have optimum braking performance maximum downforce is required and DRS is not activated.
Therefore the argument by Just_a_fan, that the DRS prevents the nose to dip becomes obsolete.

Also it's not just about preventing the floor from touching the ground. The floor has to keep a certain distance from the ground otherwise the flow through the floor would be blocked causing a significant downforce loss.

TheBaverianBasterd

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Will 2013 be the year when Mercedes finally drops the big one with the mercury-suspension, that will surely fit Lewis like a glove and help him run away with the WDC?

http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... -analysis/

Joie de vivre

Stop with this mercury suspenison. It was a long debate last year and boom, nothing once the season started. It's just speculation.

bhall

Joie de vivre wrote:Stop with this mercury suspenison. It was a long debate last year and boom, nothing once the season started. It's just speculation.
Let's not be so quick to dismiss, shall we?

I mean, the media focus surrounding the W04 has been intense. But, why?
Anon123 wrote:
Mika1 wrote:Mercedes AMG hiding their updates? I hope they will have more than they showed us this weekend.
I heard on Sky Sports F1 that a lot of the updates are hard to see, Mercedes employee: "The W04 is like a girl that doesn't give up her secrets easiy." :) I assume they are referring to mechanical upgrades and an effective DRD.

[...]
What's enabled Mercedes to find this serious burst of performance when the changes are so cloaked that even the pundits can't find them?
FrukostScones wrote:seriously, serious rake on the car
I've been admiring that as well. Call me a late convert. Bandwagoneer?

What if Mercedes' real trick is, in fact, a mercury anti-dive system - it's hidden - that allows for more rake, because it enables more consistent downforce from the front wing?

Not only is that just better in and of itself. Surely, we all remember this...

But, perhaps most importantly, it will go a long way toward curing the teams' noted issues with tire degradation last year. Simply put, skidding tires aren't happy tires, because it makes them degrade like the U.K.'s credit rating, and tires skid more when there's less downforce.

More downforce = less skidding. Less skidding = less degradation. Less degradation = Lewis sips from the Chalice of Victory.

aral

Joie de vivre wrote:Stop with this mercury suspenison. It was a long debate last year and boom, nothing once the season started. It's just speculation.
Agreed! Isnt there a thread elsewhere for that rubbish?

TheBaverianBasterd

gilgen wrote:
How is that rubbish?

If the team put together that mercury suspension, the benefits would be quite significant as bhall2k pointed out.

Owen.C93

TheBaverianBasterd wrote:
gilgen wrote:
How is that rubbish?

If the team put together that mercury suspension, the benefits would be quite significant as bhall2k pointed out.
Unless there's any new info on it then keep it in the correct thread.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mep

To add some news to that, I can actually tell you that the idea behind a mercury suspension is illegal.
Apart from that do most teams run interlinked suspensions.

Richard

gilgen wrote:
Yes! Moved here from the W04 thread.