Lotus E20 VD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Huntresa

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

mike wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Is that air really creating much drag though? The diffuser is pretty efficient and I can't help feel that the drag in the airbox intakes and tubing at the rear is greater than a bit of extra air over the diffuser. Common sense would say that shedding FW drag is much more beneficial.
they could get rid of downforce from the diffuser allow lower ride height to be used at the rear

Why would you want a low ride height at the rear? You want low at front and high at the back.

bhall

It looks like there's a slit on top of the main plane, but it's hard to tell. I need a better angle.

(Click to enlarge)

PlatinumZealot

no slits allowed on the rear wing profile
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

N12ck

n smikle wrote:no slits allowed on the rear wing profile
I keep telling everyone, you need to be looking around the diffuser area, it is not stalling the rear wing!
Budding F1 Engineer

bhall

That's actually not true.
N12ck wrote:
I keep telling everyone, you need to be looking around the diffuser area, it is not stalling the rear wing!
Why would you want to stall anything other than the rear wing? Diffuser downforce is virtually drag-free.

aral

Huntresa wrote:Cant the air just go to the middle of the RW then out to the endplates and out thru the holes?
For a description as to how the Lotus system works (rather than all the wild speculation here?) have a look at Autosport site.

Owen.C93

gilgen wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Cant the air just go to the middle of the RW then out to the endplates and out thru the holes?
For a description as to how the Lotus system works (rather than all the wild speculation here?) have a look at Autosport site.
That article from Gary Anderson also says the MGP system takes air in from the nose.

Although I do believe it has nothing to do with the diffuser.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 20 Jul 2012, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

N12ck

bhallg2k wrote:
That's actually not true.
N12ck wrote:
Why would you want to stall anything other than the rear wing? Diffuser downforce is virtually drag-free.
It creates downforce from the diffuser, blowing high pressure over the top then drop that extra downforce and drag created on the straights
Budding F1 Engineer

bhall

Say again?

N12ck

bhallg2k wrote:Say again?
ask scarbs for a better explanation, look at his diagram,

its not stalling the rear wing, there is no outlet on the rear wing or anywhere near the rear wing,

it is using the DRS as the signal duct

so closed DRS:
Duct blows high pressure air across the top of the diffuser, which means more downforce,

open DRS:
Duct gets diverted to above the beam wing loosing that extra drag created by the duct
Budding F1 Engineer

Huntresa

N12ck wrote:

its not stalling the rear wing, there is no outlet on the rear wing or anywhere near the rear wing,

so closed DRS:
Duct blows high pressure air across the top of the diffuser, which means more downforce,

open DRS:
Duct gets diverted to above the beam wing loosing that extra drag created by the duct
So why is there holes in the endplate and the middle of the RW i would assume + the inlets at the airbox? Where is the air coming from ? Since the 2 holes on the RW are open all the time, what are they used for?

N12ck

Huntresa wrote:
N12ck wrote:

so closed DRS:

open DRS:
So why is there holes in the endplate and the middle of the RW i would assume + the inlets at the airbox? Where is the air coming from ? Since the 2 holes on the RW are open all the time, what are they used for?
show me these 2 holes, I bet they are a reflection :)
Budding F1 Engineer

Huntresa

show me these 2 holes, I bet they are a reflection :)
They are in scarbs drawing which you qoute from :P

The low 2nd green hole in scarbs drawning is the hole im talking about, dunno if there is a 2nd one uptop as he has made out.

But here it is and its no reflection,

N12ck

if you are talking about that image, that 'hole' is a reflection of the wing support below the drs actuator, aside from that a hole there would be illegal
Last edited by N12ck on 20 Jul 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Budding F1 Engineer

Huntresa

A reflection that has a clear edge ? :O Also how does a hole make something blacker ? A shadow makes something blacker, the hole you are saying its reflection should show the same color as the endplate, no ? You can even see the shadow of the thing you are sayings its a reflection of right next to the hole, and that is a shadow, the hole isnt.
Last edited by Huntresa on 20 Jul 2012, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.