Side-pod flow deflector

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
skgoa

Re: Side-pod flow deflector

hardingfv32 wrote:
skgoa wrote:But that is only good enough if you are manely concerned with aerodynamic devices that aren't in ground effect. (I.e. not when looking at the FW or floor.)
MIRA gets a lot of race car through their tunnel each year, most have FW and/or floors. You would think that business would be pretty bad by now if their results were rubbish.

What is the purpose of the ' boundary layer bleed' in your opinion? I would have thought it was to benefit FW and floor activities.

Brian
I'm not saying that it has no effect at all. It's just not good enough for F1.

godlameroso

ringo wrote:Interesting topic. Haven't posted in a while but this is something new.
Why would the Cop move forward? hmmm.....

Could have to do with the floor of the car. The wake off the front wheel is also a factor. I cant draw conclussions without certain evidence, but i think those are clues.

As for the rear wing and diffuser, it doesn't have to be related to those parts of the car. We tend to think only those parts matter when in fact the rest of the car is just as important.
CP moves forward for the same reason any CP would move forward when more downforce is created at the front of the CG. These things create downforce because they increase pressure relative to the underside of the chassis, the only thing is the drag penalty is relatively small because the way a vertical end plate interacts with the chassis is different from a horizontal aerofoil like a wing.
Saishū kōnā

Richard

The test showed increased downforce at the front when the deflectors were removed.

Its an interesting case that I can't explain. It just goes to show that race cars are more complex than a binary relationship when parts are added or removed.

marcush.

My take on this:the deflectors enhance flow around the sidepods and over the difusser top which pushes difusser efficiency thus increasing downforce produced by the underfloor .the underfloor does produce a fair bit of downforce at its throat which is definetively in front of the CoP explaining the rise in front and rear downforce and possibly the shift of downforce to the front -as the throat section of the underfloor is dominated by the ride height ...hm this would indicate the fenders reduce pitch sensivity of downforce produced by the underfloor??