Exhausts in 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Cam

Re: Exhausts in 2013

LOL ray, I thought the question was fairly obvious at the OP without getting into the semantics.

Red Bull would struggle as would Ferrari I think. The real winners would be Lotus and Sauber as I think their mechanical grip is much better. Mclaren always seem to be in the middle of mechanical and aero, which is why they never really dominate either way this year (recent form excepted), so they might benefit too.

My pick would be Sauber. Their car just seems to be more consistently better with the tyres and if you take away any aero trickery, I think they would be a top team.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Nando
Nando

Exhaust designs for next year

So this year have been quite interesting in that respect.
I think the most interesting one was Ferrari withe the most horrendous looking exhaust setup ever in F1.
On a more rational level we saw the Mclaren "right-out-of-the-box"-solution and then finally the odd but genius one, the Sauber solution.

Been great actually watching the teams cycle through setups and evolving the exhausts through the year and it got me thinking for next year.

What setups do you think will be the most common ones?

The Renault, Williams solution, conserved but effecient (hp wise)
The Sauber mini-ramp.
The Mclaren bulge
The Ferrari old school Acer Ducts
The Red Bull mega-ramp with tunnel.
The Mercedes sidepod exhaust (the old one with the exhaust very "high"up the car)
-
Personally i think the Mclaren bulge might be the most common one, it seems like the cheapest one and probably the most accessible downforce boost you can get.
I´m guessing most mid-field and low-field teams will opt for that design.

But when it comes to the Trio i´m really interested to see what they might do.

I think that Mclaren and Ferrari might go for a RBR-Ramp, Tunnel system, the question is...will RBR keep theirs?
Perhaps Newey "has been at it again.." and come up with something new or changed to an already established solution.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Hail22

Re: Exhaust designs for next year

Very interesting topic...I'm going to go with the 3 Amigos

1. Mclaren Exhaust
2. Sauber Ramp
3. Red Bull Ramp, tunnel system

However...knowing what has been learned this year there may yet be a 4th solution/design that may rear its head out of the workshop winter testing 2013?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Shrieker

Don't you guys think it's pretty much obvious that they are all feeding diffuser sides, using the engine as an air pump and all. Why aren't the FIA going further to enforce their own rules (if they aren't) ? I'd have imagined more work from the FIA in this respect. Maybe making something like the exhausts on WSR or Gp2 cars mandatory for next year. They're thinking of 2014 maybe ? But that doesn't make much sense when you consider they went bonkers in 2011 trying to ban it mid season.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

wrcsti
wrcsti

Shrieker wrote:Don't you guys think it's pretty much obvious that they are all feeding diffuser sides, using the engine as an air pump and all. Why aren't the FIA going further to enforce their own rules (if they aren't) ? I'd have imagined more work from the FIA in this respect. Maybe making something like the exhausts on WSR or Gp2 cars mandatory for next year. They're thinking of 2014 maybe ? But that doesn't make much sense when you consider they went bonkers in 2011 trying to ban it mid season.
Because the genie is out of the bottle. The only way for the FIA to ccompletely end aerodynamic exhaust tuning would be to have a fixed position similar to what lotus ran earlier this year. And considering in 2014 the turbos will likely have a single central mounted exhaust its probably best to just let them play with it one more year and then be over with it.

Now what do I expect next year? A very wild mix between the ramp/tunnel and mclaren type exhaust. Imagine taking the mclaren exhaust and then ramping the trailing edge to the floor. While still keeping the large underside tunnel.

WhiteBlue

Shrieker wrote:Don't you guys think it's pretty much obvious that they are all feeding diffuser sides, using the engine as an air pump and all. Why aren't the FIA going further to enforce their own rules (if they aren't) ? I'd have imagined more work from the FIA in this respect.
The FiA are pretty much done with the exhaust system. Next year they leave the rules as they are because it is the last year with high exhaust energy levels anyway. From 2014 the MGU-H and the compressor will take massive kinetic and thermal energy out of the exhaust in the magnitude of 130 hp as Ringo calculated in the engine thread. That low energy gas will not do much at all for your aerodynamics.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)