Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FoxHound

Re: Pirelli 2013

Indian GP: Pirelli wants limited tyre running on safety grounds
Some interesting developments.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24690717

Apparently the FIA will not sanction Pirelli's request.
JET set

Sombrero

It's highly time to get rid of Pirelli before something really bad occurs...

Just_a_fan

If they don't get the testing required, then I think Pirelli should just make rock hard tyres next year. Tyres that won't fail and don't wear out. Hell, make all of the softness grades the same too so that there are no failures at all. Of course, the tyres will have bugger all grip and the drivers won't like them very much but there will be no failures and "for everyone it's the same" (as is the usual F1 excuse).

When F1 cars are running lap times that would struggle to compete in GP2, maybe the teams and the FIA will take notice...

:lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GitanesBlondes

“We are disappointed to see that some teams went against our recommendations and used the compounds for longer than we advised them to do." -Paul Hembrey
I don't know if that is an admission that their tires are simply not up to the task (my opinion is they never have been) but I often wonder how they justify going along with this type of tire. Their current ultimatum that they will walk if they cannot test the 2014 tires before winter testing is interesting. Since the FIA have to sanction that test, I wonder if this is Todt's way of forcing them out of F1 altogether? If he is as keen on getting Michelin back as the tire supplier, this would be a good way to get Pirelli out since it would be their choice.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Glyn

GitanesBlondes wrote:
“We are disappointed to see that some teams went against our recommendations and used the compounds for longer than we advised them to do." -Paul Hembrey
I don't know if that is an admission that their tires are simply not up to the task (my opinion is they never have been) but I often wonder how they justify going along with this type of tire. Their current ultimatum that they will walk if they cannot test the 2014 tires before winter testing is interesting. Since the FIA have to sanction that test, I wonder if this is Todt's way of forcing them out of F1 altogether? If he is as keen on getting Michelin back as the tire supplier, this would be a good way to get Pirelli out since it would be their choice.
"But the teams are frustrated with Pirelli because it is refusing to pay the costs for the tests it wants to do. So far, Pirelli has only offered to pay for circuit hire.

Teams point out that F1 cars cost hundreds of pounds a lap to run, so a three-day test in which teams cover hundreds of laps would cost them tens of thousands of pounds or more at a time when costs in F1 are a major concern.
Pirelli has been told if it wants to do extra testing they must pay the entire costs of the teams involved." - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24690717

It seems this is the only stopping point.

Typical Pirelli....

I have never heard this point mentioned before anywhere in the media. Especially on TV.

MOWOG

at a time when costs in F1 are a major concern.
You must surely be joking. :roll: I can assure you that ditching the current engine and aero regulations are costing the teams MILLIONS of pounds. Do you really think 10 or 20 thousand pounds would amount to a major concern for any of them? :?:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

strad

You must surely be joking. I can assure you that ditching the current engine and aero regulations are costing the teams MILLIONS of pounds. Do you really think 10 or 20 thousand pounds would amount to a major concern for any of them?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SectorOne

MOWOG wrote:
at a time when costs in F1 are a major concern.
You must surely be joking. :roll: I can assure you that ditching the current engine and aero regulations are costing the teams MILLIONS of pounds. Do you really think 10 or 20 thousand pounds would amount to a major concern for any of them? :?:
I´d say that´s exactly the reason why that would amount to a major concern.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

Newey finally says the most obvious thing this season:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/05/f ... res-newey/

bhall

Adrian Newey is full of ---. His team, just like all others, tested the original 2013-spec tires in Brazil last year and, based upon their early-season whining about the tires, did not make the most of that information.

GitanesBlondes

bhallg2k wrote:Adrian Newey is full of ---. His team, just like all others, tested the original 2013-spec tires in Brazil last year and, based upon their early-season whining about the tires, did not make the most of that information.
I have to agree....it was obvious Red Bull did not get the tires correct till...well, you know that "thing" happened.

Not that I like any version of the tires mind you, but had they remained the same, one has to wonder where the season goes.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Jersey Tom

bhallg2k wrote:Adrian Newey is full of ---. His team, just like all others, tested the original 2013-spec tires in Brazil last year and, based upon their early-season whining about the tires, did not make the most of that information.
To be fair, track testing doesn't tell you as much about tires as you might think. Sometimes, doesn't really tell you much of anything.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bhall

That's fair enough. But I think teams can't ask for much more than equal opportunities to collect data. Red Bull had that.

Juzh

Yeah right, based on maybe 100 kilometers of free-practice on 2013 spec tires on 2012 spec cars somehow magically enabled lotus and ferrari to collect enough data to design their entire car purely around them :roll:

And good to know that you probably know more about the subject as 10 times WCC chief technical officer. Feel free to enlighten us more.

Jersey Tom

bhallg2k wrote:That's fair enough. But I think teams can't ask for much more than equal opportunities to collect data. Red Bull had that.
Teams may have equal opportunity to collect limited or no data, for sure. Depending on the circumstance sometimes that really favors the best engineers, sometimes it really neutralizes advantage.

In any event, sometimes you do stumble upon something out of "luck" or random search mode or an educated search mode.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.