Pirelli 2013

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bhall
bhall

Re: Pirelli 2013

I don't disagree with that. Lotus has historically been kind to tires, and Ferrari employs the former head of Bridgestone Motorsport. Given that, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they simply did a better job than Red Bull.

Blackout

Plus, Lotus has been competitive with the three spec of tires; the pre-Hungary, the German gp spec, and the post-Hungary...

PNSD
PNSD

As for Lotus, I am not so sure it was more luck than engineering genius.

The team last year was good on it's tyres and obviously learnt a lot from that. Ferrari too were not all that bad. I think Adrian is using the word luck to try and get under their skins a little. And to say they were unlucky? That's even worse.

I am certainly of the opinion that Lotus, Ferrari and Force India all managed to work the original spec tyres safely IMO. So why couldn't the others? I put that down to themselves only.

radosav
radosav

maybe Newey is trying to ease the fact that ,in some way, they were given 2013 WDC and WCC title by tyre changes.
i think it is a bit disrespectful to Lotus and Ferrari.

SectorOne

Or they were simply given proper tires. It had to go so far that tires would self-destruct for Ferrari to win races with what we know is a sub-par car.
New tires merely set the order straight. Best car wins title. Not some artificial handicap for the best cars.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

radosav
radosav

SectorOne wrote:Or they were simply given proper tires. It had to go so far that tires would self-destruct for Ferrari to win races with what we know is a sub-par car.
New tires merely set the order straight. Best car wins title. Not some artificial handicap for the best cars.
if it was best car how come it had trouble with original 2013 tyres?

SectorOne

radosav wrote:if it was best car how come it had trouble with original 2013 tyres?
Because it was artificial crap tires that penalized cars with more downforce.
As Newey said, there´s a direct linkage between downforce and the wear on the tires.

Probably the worst tires that has ever been produced for F1 cars.
Done to artificially equalize the field rather then giving "a good show".
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Huntresa
Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:
radosav wrote:if it was best car how come it had trouble with original 2013 tyres?
Because it was artificial crap tires that penalized cars with more downforce.
As Newey said, there´s a direct linkage between downforce and the wear on the tires.

Probably the worst tires that has ever been produced for F1 cars.
Done to artificially equalize the field rather then giving "a good show".
Yeah i agree it was crap tires, or rather the degree they went this year was crap, but then again, its a level playing field RB didnt get crappier tyres then Ferrari or Lotus and the same can be said in reverse after the change to 2012 structure.

Ann these problems could be solved via some more testing, so that if we have tyres like 2013 minus the explosions ofc then RB would have seen this and could have built a car around that instead of building what they built, cause they rly didnt expect the tyres to act like they did cause they hadnt tested them enough. And same goes for the explosions and he way the tyres were used, Pirelli and the FIA could have caught this way earlier, via testing.

Kiril Varbanov

Paul Hembrey in some bad-style interview - http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15217.html

Face it, Pirelli - you could have done a better job, but you didn't. It's too late to be rude and defensive.

Lycoming
Lycoming

Huntresa wrote:... but then again, its a level playing field RB didnt get crappier tyres then Ferrari or Lotus and the same can be said in reverse after the change to 2012 structure.
Strictly speaking this is true, but I wonder how much variation there is tire to tire... even within the same batch. I've heard things about some of their tires being significantly out of round.

tim|away
tim|away

bhallg2k wrote:Adrian Newey is full of ---. His team, just like all others, tested the original 2013-spec tires in Brazil last year and, based upon their early-season whining about the tires, did not make the most of that information.
I think Adrian Newey is stating that there simply wasn't enough data for anyone to start with. Pirelli changed the tyre in the winter when the development for the 2013 car was already very advanced. Therefore, all teams were in unknown territory and the tests in cold conditions probably didn't produce much conclusive data either. At the end of the day, some came out better than others of that unknown territory - as he states rather due to luck than knowledge no one had in time.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

bhallg2k wrote:Adrian Newey is full of ---. His team, just like all others, tested the original 2013-spec tires in Brazil last year and, based upon their early-season whining about the tires, did not make the most of that information.
The tyres they tested in Brazil came to nothing. They were softened further to make the 'hard' tyre for early 2013.
radosav wrote:maybe Newey is trying to ease the fact that ,in some way, they were given 2013 WDC and WCC title by tyre changes.
Vettel was leading before the tyre changes and has led ever since. Would the title have been closer had the tyres not been changed? Of course, but you only need to look at 2012. And 2011. And 2010. And 2009, to see how strong Vettel and RB are late season.

SectorOne

Part of me hopes Pirelli gets as little data as the possibly can so they will be forced to play it incredibly safe.
With more data they are simply gonna go closer to the edge of the ridiculous.
Surely the teams and drivers must be tired of these consciously terrible tires.

The day i hear "ok we are going to need 15 qualifying laps now to make this strategy work" over the radio i know F1 is back to the good ol days.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Jonnycraig wrote:
The tyres they tested in Brazil came to nothing. They were softened further to make the 'hard' tyre for early 2013.
radosav wrote:maybe Newey is trying to ease the fact that ,in some way, they were given 2013 WDC and WCC title by tyre changes.
Vettel was leading before the tyre changes and has led ever since. Would the title have been closer had the tyres not been changed? Of course, but you only need to look at 2012. And 2011. And 2010. And 2009, to see how strong Vettel and RB are late season.
Yes but with the tyres that we had this year Red Bull wouldnt have been able to use the DF they have used in the 5 last races, he would have killed the tyres during Singapore and Japan using what they used, so they would have been more neutralized but still ofc very competetive.

Huntresa
Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:Part of me hopes Pirelli gets as little data as the possibly can so they will be forced to play it incredibly safe.
With more data they are simply gonna go closer to the edge of the ridiculous.
Surely the teams and drivers must be tired of these consciously terrible tires.

The day i hear "ok we are going to need 15 qualifying laps now to make this strategy work" over the radio i know F1 is back to the good ol days.
Yeah but thats just as ridic as tyres not lasting, having to make 15 Q laps to make a strategy work...