2014 aero regs revert to 2012 regs

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

mclaren_mircea wrote:On the car page people who do not know says that the aero-rules were not dropped, and does not believe that FIA dropped all the aero-rules for 2014. I repeat: FIA posted on thei official website in December 2012 that the aero-rules were dropped, and that it's only for integrating the engine in the chassis.
Look:
" FIA drops plan to reduce downforce in 2014. F1 cars will retain their 2012-style aerodynamic packages, the FIA confirmed: “Changes made to bodywork design, originally aimed at reducing downforce and drag for increased efficiency, have reverted to 2012 specification.”
You very obviously did not read the regulations yourself. If you did, you would find out that in spite of what the FiA announced in their December press release, they did not revert the regulations. The regulations have stayed pretty much the same as the proposed regulations. I believe the black-and-white regulations that the FiA have released to the public domain.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Re: 2014 aero regs revert to 2012 regs

I suggest that mclaren_mircea reads this thread. We have in great detail analysed what is going to change and what not. The technical experts in the teams all agree that 2014 will be a massive change on the chassis side as well. it starts with the ban of high noses continues with the need of inter coolers that will change the side pots, with a different size of the engine in width, length and hight, different air intake positions and no beam wing. The cars will be totally different and you can throw everything you know about aerodynamic refinement of the current configuration into the bin. My money btw is on Newey to get it right. He is the master of packaging after rule changes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mclaren_mircea

You said that I do not read the statement about 2014 rules, but with all the respect I think that Gary Anderson read very well the technical regulations regarding the aerodynamics. LOOK WHAT HE SAID in Jerez. I think the message is very clear.

" BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson in Jerez

"I'm sure Mercedes have plans in place to fix that. They have nine days of testing left after this one and they have to make them count. Everyone's saying they're concentrating on 2014, when big regulation changes are introduced. But while there is a huge change in the engine rules, with the introduction of 1.6-litre V6 turbos with extensive energy recovery, the chassis rules are a continuation of the current ones, with a few small changes. So if Mercedes are going to get the best out of the aerodynamics of the car in 2014, they have to prove they understand them and can do the same this year."

raymondu999

mclaren_mircea wrote:the chassis rules are a continuation of the current ones, with a few small changes. So if Mercedes are going to get the best out of the aerodynamics of the car in 2014, they have to prove they understand them and can do the same this year."
They always were a continuation. It's not a rethink like it was in 2009. 2014 is basically 2013 rules, changed for engine, narrower front wing, etc

Again - please download the actual regulations PDF and have a read through - not what is posted on a news website (no matter how established)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Well Mr. Anderson is not running a team. Red Bull experts Horner and Newey have said that they perceive the changes as radical and that impact on the pecking order will be unpredictable. Gary Anderson may compare the final rule changes with the original tunnel concept and I agree that it looks pretty conventional compared with that. But the facts I have mentioned in the previous post are undisputed. The aero configuration has no resemblance with the 2013 version particularly because the low noses will completely change the way the diffusor will be supplied with air.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

McMrocks

there is a change.
the best possibility to find out what the regulations for 2014 are is this:
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 111212.pdf

example: the new front wing width:
3.4.1 Bodywork width between the front and the rear wheel centre lines must not exceed 1400mm.
Bodywork width ahead of the front wheel centre line must not exceed 1650mm.
in the current rules, which you can find at the homepage from the FiA at Sports/Regulations, there is not this limit. I'm pretty sure you will find the other changes in the Regulations, too.

maybe it is a bit strange that they put the maximum width ahead of the front wheel centre line in the paragraph: "Width ahead of the rear wheel centre line"

edit: and don't you think it is a bit too early to speculate about the pecking order for 2014?

mclaren_mircea

@WhiteBlue

Explain me please what is the fact with the low noses? There will be low-noses??
Yesss!!!! I hope that you confirm that to me, because you know that Mclaren has the best experience with the low noses. For some years (except 2013) they refined low profile noses. Please tell me that it it true with the low noses. [-o< [-o<

McMrocks

mclaren_mircea wrote:@WhiteBlue

Explain me please what is the fact with the low noses? There will be low-noses??
Yesss!!!! I hope that you confirm that to me, because you know that Mclaren has the best experience with the low noses. For some years (except 2013) they refined low profile noses. Please tell me that it it true with the low noses. [-o< [-o<
In the current regulations at fia.com there is still a paragraph that "The centre of area of this section[=impact absorbing structure] must be no more than 185mm above the reference plane."

But if this is really an advantage for McLaren.... :roll:

better explanation (with an drawing) is at page 7 of this thread

mclaren_mircea

Look what I found :)

"Looking closer at McLarens chassis in side profile its clear the family history of low noses has helped here. "
" After reading some articles, Mclaren have been building there cars with a low nose and chassis since 2009. So when the regs changed, Mclaren were already there. " =D>

Huntresa

mclaren_mircea wrote:Look what I found :)

"Looking closer at McLarens chassis in side profile its clear the family history of low noses has helped here. "
" After reading some articles, Mclaren have been building there cars with a low nose and chassis since 2009. So when the regs changed, Mclaren were already there. " =D>
But they havent won a single championship.

Richard

Explain me please what is the fact with this conversation? There will be technical posts??
Yesss!!!! I hope that you confirm that to me, because you know that this thread has no experience of team fanboys. For some pages (except this one) it has reviewed regulations. Please tell me that it it true there will be no fanboys. [-o< [-o<

Timstr

mclaren_mircea wrote:You said that I do not read the statement about 2014 rules, but with all the respect I think that Gary Anderson read very well the technical regulations regarding the aerodynamics. LOOK WHAT HE SAID in Jerez. I think the message is very clear.

" BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson in Jerez

"I'm sure Mercedes have plans in place to fix that. They have nine days of testing left after this one and they have to make them count. Everyone's saying they're concentrating on 2014, when big regulation changes are introduced. But while there is a huge change in the engine rules, with the introduction of 1.6-litre V6 turbos with extensive energy recovery, the chassis rules are a continuation of the current ones, with a few small changes. So if Mercedes are going to get the best out of the aerodynamics of the car in 2014, they have to prove they understand them and can do the same this year."
Don't take GA too seriously. There's alot he has no knowledge.

This is what Lotus TD James Allison recently said about the 2014 rule changes:
“Yeah it’ll be exciting. This is exciting and scary as well, honestly, it’s always scary and exciting. But next year… the 2009 changes were a ripple compared with the tsunami of 2014.
Nuff said.

Huntresa

Yeah tsunami cause its almost two ways stuff changes, fw will be smaller and at the same time be made to work with the new nose and bodywork for the new engine, which will be massively different.

stfn_ger

So what is the quoted press release stating that the bodywork rules got revertet to 2012 spec about then ? Both the current version of the 2014 TR and the press release concerning the WMSC were issued on Dec 5th. Is it just me getting something wrong here or are those two documents some kind of contradictory ? I wouldnt mind if both statements wouldn't come from the FIA itself....

raymondu999

Basically, forget the Dec 5th press release. The rules stayed pretty much the same to what we were promised earlier.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法