2014 aero regs revert to 2012 regs

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
OffdutyRockstar

Re: 2014 aero regs revert to 2012 regs

Apologies if there have been subsequent topics on the 2014 aero regulations but can I just say, after scouring the internet for some clarity and intelligent debate on the subject this is resolutely the only thing I have seen which fits that description.

Thank you to all contributors for succeeding where the FIA didn't! :D =D>

Apart from mclaren_mircea. :|

WhiteBlue

Just to summarize the discussion the FiA was referring to a plan for a massive change from a flat and stepped floor towards tunnels. That one is not going to happen. But there are other detailed changes that in total bring a relatively new aerodynamic configuration.
  • low noses
  • narrower front wings
  • different side pots
  • different engine length, height and width
  • different air intake rules and forced induction
  • different exhaust rules, position and single end pipe
  • no monkey seat
  • no beam wing
  • new tyre construction with different deformation
The sum of those things amount to the biggest aero change since many years. So the publication of the FiA is a bit misleading although it has some truth in it regarding the change of floor concept that is not going to happen.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

matt21

whiteblue wrote: [*]no monkey seat
To me it seems as the still can fit a monkey seat. I didn't find something ruling it out.

Huntresa

matt21 wrote:
whiteblue wrote: [*]no monkey seat
To me it seems as the still can fit a monkey seat. I didn't find something ruling it out.

Yeah Monkey Seats will be avaible but not structured to fit onto the beam wing.

Huntresa

WhiteBlue wrote:Just to summarize the discussion the FiA was referring to a plan for a massive change from a flat and stepped floor towards tunnels. That one is not going to happen. But there are other detailed changes that in total bring a relatively new aerodynamic configuration.
  • low noses
  • narrower front wings
  • different side pots
  • different engine length, height and width
  • different air intake rules and forced induction
  • different exhaust rules, position and single end pipe
  • no monkey seat
  • no beam wing
  • new tyre construction with different deformation
The sum of those things amount to the biggest aero change since many years. So the publication of the FiA is a bit misleading although it has some truth in it regarding the change of floor concept that is not going to happen.

Also i think they reverted to having 2 exit pipes on the exhaust but exit will be where we have monkey seat today pretty much and no real way to not have it there.

This one was linked in the other thread bout 2014, http://somersf1.blogspot.se/2013/01/201 ... anges.html

WhiteBlue

matt21 wrote:
whiteblue wrote:[*]no monkey seat
There is no body work allowed between 150 and 750 mm vertically as Huntresa's source points out nicely in graphics. This is in contrast to 400mm-730mm today. Where do you think the monkey seat should go?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

turbof1

WhiteBlue wrote:
matt21 wrote:
whiteblue wrote:[*]no monkey seat
There is no body work allowed between 150 and 750 mm vertically as Huntresa's source points out nicely in graphics. This is in contrast to 400mm-730mm today. Where do you think the monkey seat should go?
I think the 15cm on the baseline is an exception.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

And where do you suppose to have your diffusor?

Huntresa

WhiteBlue wrote:And where do you suppose to have your diffusor?
You still have the mdidle centimeters free even without beamwing, so you could put a monkey seat on the crash structures top level, if its workable to attach like that.

Cuky

Huntresa wrote:Also i think they reverted to having 2 exit pipes on the exhaust but exit will be where we have monkey seat today pretty much and no real way to not have it there.
Well, there will still be 2 banks of 3 exhaust pipes exiting the engine, but they both will be connecting to turbo which will have one exhaust pipe exiting it. So, that is basically one exhaust pipe that exits the car in the middle above gearbox

WhiteBlue

Huntresa wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:And where do you suppose to have your diffusor?
You still have the mdidle centimeters free even without beamwing, so you could put a monkey seat on the crash structures top level, if its workable to attach like that.
In this image you see that there is no way you can have a monkey seat under the rules. The central green exclusion zone is gone. All the space between the diffusor and the rear wing has to be free of body work. No loop hole.

Saribro

WhiteBlue wrote:The central green exclusion zone is gone.
Are you sure? With the beam wing gone, where would they mount the rear wing?
It seems unlikely to me that the rear wing downforce is to be carried by the outer edge of the floor before being transfered to the gearbox casing. I'm also concerned about lateral rigidity of that construction. Someone apparently also asked for 2 exhaust outlets, which seem pointless unless you don't want to pipe it over your nice central rear wing mount.
Guess I'll have to catch up on the regulations again some time.

rjsa

The green (free) area is exactly the place for the monkey seat. I don't get the discussion here.

Absolutelee

I think you misread that WB. He said the green zone will still be free and may lead to the reappearance of rear wing supports, since the beam wing was structural too.

rjsa

No, I'm pretty sure the discussion is misguided. The center green area is fair game, teams can do what they want there. The discussion above assumes that the vertical exclusion areas crosses the central section, what it does not.