Camber Tires: Tires Get Tipsy

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
munks
munks

Re: Camber Tires: Tires Get Tipsy

Tim.Wright wrote:This is what I meant when I was talking about tread elements in the contact patch changing trajectory. Tread elements on a free rolling vertical tyre describe a circle constrained to a plane. When you add camber, this theory says that the tread elements are deflected out of the plane when it contacts the ground.
While I believe that improved contact patch is the primary reason for running camber, it has been suggested somewhere (can't remember where I first read this) that camber also creates force more efficiently than a slip angle. Meaning, for the same force, camber will cause less heat and wear.

And it makes sense: if you look at how tread elements deflect from slip angle, the deflection linearly increases until it exceeds the grip limit and slides back. But with camber, they deflect in a curve (as demonstrated in your diagram), returning naturally without any need to slide.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Camber Tires: Tires Get Tipsy

Millikan (father of 'our' Millikan and Pikes peak record holder in 30s) built around 1960 a (3 wheeled ?) car with about 45 deg camber when at full steering angle (negative on the outer wheel, positive on the inner)
because he thought camber thrust was good
it used motorcycle tyres