Setup on a wet track

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
olefud
olefud

Re: Setup on a wet track

SatchelCharge wrote:I understand all of that, definitely. I'm just pointing out that we don't see teams adjust the suspension when it suddenly rains during a dry race. I had never thought about olefud's point on CoG.

e: deleting the rest of my post because I'd forgotten that parc ferme is relaxed if it rains on race day.
I suspect that aero downforce compensates for much in the wet.

bigpat
bigpat

Re: Setup on a wet track

The rain tyres are a larger diameter precisely to reduce the chance of the car bottoming out on the track, especially if it rains mid race, presenting no time to alter the set up.

We always raised ride heights in serious rain, only 4-5 mm to keep the car off the deck. In an open wheeler, if you do soften the ride springs, you would raise the ride height to compensate.

Some do soften the ARB settings to give the car more compliance, and help reduce load variations on the tyre, which is what is all about really. In Formula Holden ( Euro F3000's) we ran mono shock front ends, so we had no real roll adjustment, and had tiny rear ARB's to begin with....

As for camber, some change, but most don't. The tyres are designed to work at dry camber settings, with asymmetric tread patterns, and softer, more compliant inner sidewalls. Funny enough with the width of the rear tyres, they respond better to reduction in camber than the front.

Overall, the changes are very simple minor ones. The main one is the wing angles. Wet or dry, a serious formula car is still all about maintaining the aero platform....