Rule sets and importance of aero

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Rule sets and importance of aero

LMP1 still has a high aero requirement. You don't win LMP just with interesting drivetrain systems. You need lots of lovely downforce too,

Having said that, I would be happy to see F1 allowing technology such as electric drive to the front wheels. I think that would be a better implementation of KERS than we currently have.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Rule sets and importance of aero

xpensive wrote:Easy enough to limit the width of bodywork, while a flat-bottom rule would do away with all diffuser hocus-pocus.

Modern downforce comes from under-pressure beneath the car, not over-pressure above the same.
I'd go the other way; free up the underside a bit and limit the wings significantly. Making the car wider would allow more space for some of the hybrid tech that seems popular. A minimum weight limit increase would also be required of course.

Having said that, the USP of F1 is it's cornering ability. Lots of race cars are faster or accelerate as quickly but nothing has the braking and cornering of F1. Reduce those significantly and you've basically lost what makes modern F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.