Pirelli 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Javert

Pirelli 2014

As we are talking only about 2014 tires lately ...
It's time to open this thread :D
raymondu999 wrote:I find it interesting that they're using the 2011 car, and not 2010 or somesuch. Sure, 2011 is the latest car they're allowed to use (2 year old rule) but I'd surmise it'd be the heaviest on rear downforce, especially if they're allowed to use the off-throttle maps in the test, which I think they probably will be allowed to.

Perhaps Red Bull want to ensure that the 2014 tyres can handle that amount of downforce?
No they shall remove it (for example running without beam wing) to see a similar downforce of 2014 (where there's low df)

astracrazy

Re: Pirelli 2014

.....nothing like the pot calling the kettle black....

raymondu999

astracrazy wrote:.....nothing like the pot calling the kettle black....
Key difference being the car. Ferrari and Red Bull used 2011 car, and didn't get punished. Merc got punished after using the current car
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FoxHound

The relevance to 2014 with using a 2013 or 2011 car is no different.
Red bull know the car backwards so can work accordingly towards 2014.
JET set

Huntresa

But as Merc test will be in the dark cause the tyres will be blank and unless they bring vastly different compunds they wont rly tellthe difference and Pirelli gets data as during Merc test.

astracrazy

i just think that Horner seems to question when others do something buts its ok when they do it (although this seems the red bull way lately anyway). Don't forget he also questioned Ferrari running there 2011 car

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

WhiteBlue

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/27/f ... -supplier/

Pirelli confirmed by the FiA for 2014. There is also a provision to source fuel by single suppliers in the future.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

lebesset

done deal it seems , 5 year contract
happily enough the FIA have backtracked on the single fuel supplier though

http://www.pitpass.com/50017/Exclusive- ... ar-F1-deal
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Huntresa

Funny how Mclaren was voted down to have a test with Pirelli...

SectorOne

Think the venue was the issue.
Aragon is the proposed new place to test.

The reason Ferrari could test before the Spanish GP was because nobody really knew about it according to certain team members from the Korean press conf.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

skoop

according to AMuS pirelli is pushing for a tire test in december. the article states that ecclestone wants to help pirelli to get the test allowed. they'll [pirelli] have to pay for the test and invite all the teams. the article doesn't say where they want to test.

you can read the full story here:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 23768.html

SiLo

I think a team wide tyre test with the 2013 cars would be great for Pirelli and for the teams in understanding the new tyres. It would make for a better season rather than just being pure luck as to whether they got the setup correct.
Felipe Baby!

sectionate

SiLo wrote:I think a team wide tyre test with the 2013 cars would be great for Pirelli and for the teams in understanding the new tyres. It would make for a better season rather than just being pure luck as to whether they got the setup correct.
That would make so much more sense for everyone involved.

FoxHound

I agree that the entire grid needs to be present to test these tyres. But as ever, it is the teams and Pirelli requesting these tests take place rather than the FIA taking the lead and naming a venue.
How many more debacles need to occur before they can act in a preventative fashion?
To ban the use of the 2014 tyre in Free practice 3 at Interlagos just goes to show how inept the organisation is at times.

The opportunity arises to use these tyres and the stewards refuse, in spite of the logistics involved in getting the rubber to Brazil in the first place and the consequences it has on the teams.
Massive face palm moment.

The solution for me would've been to hold a test the day after the GP, weather permitting. Saves millions for everyone, and it can be collated with data collected during the GP.
JET set