Pirelli 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM

Re: Pirelli 2014

Whether they were or not is irrelevant, it didn't actually make any difference with that anyway, Paul was blaming it on the inner shoulder being weaker, but it turns out the teams were just swapping the entire wheel from left to right, so the outer/inner shouldsers were still in the right place.

Huntresa

PhillipM wrote:Whether they were or not is irrelevant, it didn't actually make any difference with that anyway, Paul was blaming it on the inner shoulder being weaker, but it turns out the teams were just swapping the entire wheel from left to right, so the outer/inner shouldsers were still in the right place.
But the tyres were or still are asymmetrical, so they were not made to be switched around, which is a big factor, but as i said in my post Pirelli knew bout the switching, cambers etc etc and should have acted sooner.

Juzh

Juzh wrote:
spinmastermic wrote: The tyres failed because they were miss-used. Under-pressured and on the wrong sides of the car. All the cars with failures in the British GP did this.
Nope. Mclaren stated on multiple occasions they followed every recommendation set by pirreli regarding camber, pressures and alignment. Segio's tires still went pop. Your argument is invalid.
So who felt the need to downvote this? It's a 100% true, opinion free fact.

Huntresa

MOWOG

Hello, operator? This is Jean Todt. Could I have the phone number for Michelin headquarters, please? What, there's no listing? Well, Hankook Tires then, please. And hurry!
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Dyanxx

I find it bizarre that there is already a blowout with the 2014 tyres, while still using the current seasons cars.

What's going to happen when they actually test the new cars with the increased torque? Pirelli seem clueless when it comes to producing a decent tyre.

andylaurence

Dyanxx wrote:What's going to happen when they actually test the new cars with the increased torque?
Torque will increase at the flywheel, but last I checked, tyres are not connected to the flywheel. Is torque going to increase at the wheels/tyres? I'd wager not.

stfn_ger

Dyanxx wrote:I find it bizarre that there is already a blowout with the 2014 tyres, while still using the current seasons cars.
Well, actually we don't know anything about the incident. The tyre also could have been damaged by debris on track or a mistake by Rosberg on the preceding lap, perhaps on a curb or off-track. It doesn't necessarily has to do something with torque. All we know is that the tyre blew at high speed on a straight. Thats not much info for a proper investigation imo.

MOWOG

Torque will increase at the flywheel, but last I checked, tyres are not connected to the flywheel. Is torque going to increase at the wheels/tyres? I'd wager not.
Ummmm.....so torque at the wheel is independent of torque at the flywheel? That is a novel engineering principle. Was not previously aware of that. Thanks for sharing. :P
The tyre also could have been damaged by debris on track or a mistake by Rosberg on the preceding lap, perhaps on a curb or off-track.
How long have you worked for Pirelli now, sir? :twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

SectorOne

andylaurence wrote:
Dyanxx wrote:What's going to happen when they actually test the new cars with the increased torque?
I´m pretty sure Pirelli or Mercedes would not worry about the extra torque if it won´t translate out to the tires.
But that´s exactly what they do.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Ganxxta

Meanwhile in LMP1...

"Lets race those slick-intermediates by Michelin, they are perfectly fine for endurance racing and top speeds way over 320km/h..."

Cold Fussion

MOWOG wrote:
Ummmm.....so torque at the wheel is independent of torque at the flywheel? That is a novel engineering principle. Was not previously aware of that. Thanks for sharing. :P
I would like to sell you one of these:

I think you need to familiarize yourself with what a gearbox is.

MOWOG

Ah HA! A gauntlet has been flung! Well, OK. I'm up for a challenge. Who knows? I might even learn something. :o

I have been reading for the past year how the new turbo V-6's will have more torque than the outgoing NA V-8's and how the Pirelli tires for 2014 will need to be able to handle the increased torque.

But now it appears that there won't be any extra torque to handle because those clever folks who engineer Formula One cars will rearrange the gearing in their transmissions so torque at the wheels will be the same as before? Am I getting this right???

Let's see if I can state my case more clearly. Barring changes in the transmission, if the torque at the flywheel increases, torque where the rubber meets the road - literally and figuratively - will increase accordingly. Are you saying that is not a true statement?

If I am wrong, then so be it. The fact of the matter is, there is little to do where I am this time of year other than watching hockey, so some playful banter with folks here at F1T is a welcome relief! :mrgreen:

Jersey Tom

MOWOG wrote:Let's see if I can state my case more clearly. Barring changes in the transmission, if the torque at the flywheel increases, torque where the rubber meets the road - literally and figuratively - will increase accordingly. Are you saying that is not a true statement?
With lower rev limit and different torque curve, gearing will certainly be changed. If horsepower is at least comparable to 2013, I'd agree that the torque delivered to the tires will ultimately be pretty similar due to gearing changes.

Maybe you could think of an analogy of Corvettes in Le Mans or when the Audi diesels came in. If you make comparable power by way of more torque and lower revs, you're going to change your gearing to accommodate. Otherwise sure you'd accelerate great out of a corner... and then hit your rev limit at some pitiful speed and your competition will blast by you.

With a different torque curve the duty cycle on the tires will be slightly different I'm sure, but I can't imagine dramatically so. I don't think the engine change will be testing the tires' durability.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Lycoming

Jersey Tom wrote:With a different torque curve the duty cycle on the tires will be slightly different I'm sure, but I can't imagine dramatically so. I don't think the engine change will be testing the tires' durability.
Would all the electrical stuff have an effect? The torque delivery is certainly different from a conventional ICE. I guess it wouldn't be a huge effect, since it ends up being about the same power anyways, and if you don't use the electric motors in the traction limited regime it probably wouldn't matter much if at all.