Pirelli 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Pavan_MP423

Re: Pirelli 2014

I don't expect any further tweaks to these tyres. They are far better than 2012/2013 spec.
Haven't noticed any driver in particular complaining about their degradation rate, IMO racing should be like this. It was disappointing to see some of the driver's hands tied up & restricted from pushing car to the limit.
Even though regs on fuel consumption have a similar effect, they're not as worst as saving the tyres.
Danger sensation is exciting, the challenge is to find new Dangers.
-Ayrton Senna

https://twitter.com/RealHamiltonFan

Artur Craft

Did you see the amount of marbles in the end of FP1, already?!

By the end of FP2 it was like last years. The tyres are still way too soft

I hope it works out as good as possible as it will rain for FP3 and Q but bone dry for the race

vas_04614

What is used to inflate pirelli tires....normal air or nitrogen?

Kiril Varbanov

vas_04614 wrote:What is used to inflate pirelli tires....normal air or nitrogen?
It is a mixture of nitrogen with air - http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/under ... /5283.html

WaikeCU

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114254

Looks like Pirelli are open for bigger and wider tires for the future. This could cause more exciting close racing because of the bigger and wider tires.

But won't larger and wider tires cause lower acceleration, because they are heavier and have a larger contact surface with the tarmac?

Jersey Tom

WaikeCU wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114254

Looks like Pirelli are open for bigger and wider tires for the future. This could cause more exciting close racing because of the bigger and wider tires.
I don't see how it would make for closer racing, honestly. If you were to drop them into the current series you'd still have Merc lock out the front row and finish the race 1-2.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

muhammad-13

Jersey Tom wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114254

I don't see how it would make for closer racing, honestly. If you were to drop them into the current series you'd still have Merc lock out the front row and finish the race 1-2.
By closer racing it means following each other closely in corners. Not that the gap will be reduced between top teams.

WaikeCU

muhammad-13 wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:
By closer racing it means following each other closely in corners. Not that the gap will be reduced between top teams.
No, I forgot to mention the Massa quote. He wanted wider tires and even less downforce in the future so there would be more close racing. Racing nowadays is still much downforce dependent.

If the aerodynamics of this year remained as it is and we get the wider tires then I think it would be even worse tbh. wider tires would mean that the chasing car would get even less downforce, because there will be even less air that will hit the front wing because of the wider rear tires which disturbs the airflow and add to that all the turbulent air. This will cause less front end grip.

FW17

In 2003 Minardi tested a car with Avon f3000 tyres. The car was by itself a second slower than the competition but still finished the test 2.5 seconds slower than others.

If current F1 were to use Avon tyres which are available to everyone they would still be faster than what Pirelli supplies at $2 million a season.

Sebp

Guess this has been discussed already. Does anyone know the logic behind having to use two different compounds in a race?
Is there any other reason behind this other than to generate "artificial" pitstops?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FW17

Sebp wrote:Guess this has been discussed already. Does anyone know the logic behind having to use two different compounds in a race?
Is there any other reason behind this other than to generate "artificial" pitstops?

Entertainment :D

FW17

Ill move my comment to the cost thread

hollus

Sebp wrote:Guess this has been discussed already. Does anyone know the logic behind having to use two different compounds in a race?
I think pretty much Pirelli demanded it if they were to be the sole supplier. They wanted to be sure that people would talk about the Pirellis and that often the race would be decided by the best use of the Pirelli black stuff. So as in so many of the threads here lately, marketing explains it all.
Ironically, they got their wish, many times over, but I am not sure that they got the type of exposure they expected.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sebp

hollus wrote:So as in so many of the threads here lately, marketing explains it all.
Sad. Was it always like this? I only started watching the "show" in the mid 90s. Are there any veterans from the early days here who can tell us without nostalgia if marketing stunts like this, that diluted the sport, were pulled let's say before the Ecclestonian era? I am aware that this has nothing with F1 specifically as it is a societal trend which has been around for ages. Still, I feel it is getting ever harder to stomach.

Sebp

Additionally: :mrgreen: