Most peculiar suspensions.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
xpensive

Most peculiar suspensions.

As a follow-up on another thread, which suspensions were the most intriguing and/or different ever?

Ferrari 312 B2;

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Sombrero

Re: Most peculiar suspensions.

Hesketh 308 : Postlethwaite was looking for a way of fitting simple, lightweight progressive springing to the car and latched onto the idea of using rubber springs after a friend involved in designing rubber damping for buildings in earthquake zones suggested the idea. Early tests in 1974 proved unsuccessful until a special non-creep rubber was developed by the Malaysian Rubber Producers Association. This was formed into springs by the Aeon Products company and following more productive testing results, fitted to the car from the 1975 Argentine GP.

marcush.

nick wirths simtek prototype:

as i remember the plan was to have the suspension mounted on the horizontal outriggers by means of rotating bars tubes very much like a VW Beetle front suspension?

marcush.

Ferrari experimented in the 70s (1975 and 76) with deDion rearaxles ,it seems not many pictures have made it in the web....

Ferrari 312T -one of the motivations for the Transaxle gearbox was the packaging of the DeDion axle -at least thats what Lauda said back then...never raced if I´m correct?

Sombrero

Ferrari 312 T 2 1976 De Dion - I saw also a video from a testing at Fiorano with Niki Lauda but I was not able to find it again... I guess also it never raced in official GP.

The Alpine A350 never made it to the track because of its engine but the suspension was intriging.
Designed by Richard Bouleau, known sometime as "flat" suspension.

Its perfect on smooth roads.

http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=485

Tires remain vertical during braking or launching as both tire move up at the same time.
Also no dangerous rear wheel positive camber when braking.

During corners BOTH wheels uppers turn to the inside of the corner.
Thus getting beneficial camber thrust from both inside and outside tires.
i.e. negative camber for the outside tire and positive camber for the inside tire.

Thus perfect so far.

The only drawback is on bumps.
Both wheels change camber, with an even more pronounced angle than a solid axle.

Lycoming

This one sure caused a stir when it first emerged. While giving the event organizers pause as to whether or not your system is legal isn't desirable for the team building the car, it pretty much guarantees that whatever they made is at least interesting...

scarbs

what about the Michelin - Renault OPT suspension..?

http://scarbsf1.com/renault_opt/Renault_OPT.htm

Tim.Wright

I suppose that got shot down with these stupid rules which govern how many attachment points to the hub which basically mandate a double wishbone suspension?
Not the engineer at Force India

scarbs

IIRC its was more a chnage to Art10.2 on suspension geometry changing when on the move, than the multiple attachment points.

Tim.Wright

Seems like they've kept a good lid on innovation for a while then. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a suspension nerd.

To avoid the risk of triggering a rant, here is the lotus active ride system being controlled by someone blowing into a pitot tube
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjHNS8Jvz78[/youtube]
Not the engineer at Force India

Ciro Pabón

Renault 2006 tuned damper (hi, scarbs!)
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 06 Dec 2013, 15:54, edited 2 times in total.
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

Lotus and Mercedes FRIC, 2013
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

Red Bull banned ride height sensor, 2013, bullet (4)
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

Tyrrell, 1976
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

Williams active controlled dynamics, 1991-1992. You have to watch this video: eerie
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbc1tmKi6g[/youtube]
Ciro