Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Cuky

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

was that 2009 Williams thing ever raced? I remember seeing it in FP on Friday, but I can't really remember if I saw it in races.

marcush.

wesley123

Cuky wrote:was that 2009 Williams thing ever raced? I remember seeing it in FP on Friday, but I can't really remember if I saw it in races.
It was used in testing after it was disallowed due to it's proximity to the fuel filler cap.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

DAMNINice

Seems like you guys have no contact with the timeattack world..

there are some rules but aerodynamically there are not much rules.
So those are for me the most exciting production car based racers at the moment...

Just a little glimpse of all the glory:

REal men play with twins!

andylaurence

If we're straying from F1, how about a gas turbine engine used to spool the turbo and the exhaust gases used to blow the diffuser? Zero turbo lag and no off-throttle issues with aero stability on the blown diffuser. All made in a garage too...

autogyro

andylaurence wrote:If we're straying from F1, how about a gas turbine engine used to spool the turbo and the exhaust gases used to blow the diffuser? Zero turbo lag and no off-throttle issues with aero stability on the blown diffuser. All made in a garage too...

http://speedhillclimb.com/mannics-quick/
You could do something similar with an electric hybrid Andy.

Sombrero

The Jigsaw Puzzle Special... Waterloo Glen 1974.

One of the strangest F-1 Lotus all time : the ill-fated Lotus 76 here DSQ in the US GP 1974 in its 72-like disguise.

I remember how enthusiastic I was about the new F-1 Lotus expected already for 1973... which finally turned to be the F-2 "Texaco Star" aka Lotus 74. Then came the "real" new F-1 Lotus for 1974 : the JPS Mk1. For me still a big disappointment today !

tomazy

autogyro wrote:
andylaurence wrote:If we're straying from F1, how about a gas turbine engine used to spool the turbo and the exhaust gases used to blow the diffuser? Zero turbo lag and no off-throttle issues with aero stability on the blown diffuser. All made in a garage too...

Electric hybrid doesn't have exhaust gases to blow the diffuser, turbine engine does :mrgreen:

langwadt

tomazy wrote:
autogyro wrote:

Electric hybrid doesn't have exhaust gases to blow the diffuser, turbine engine does :mrgreen:
_hybrid_ so both combustion and electric, the combustion part could be a turbine like the Jaguar C-X75

Pilatus

Ahhhh, Pikes Peak is like a modern art exhibition.... :mrgreen:

autogyro

tomazy wrote:
autogyro wrote:

Of course but you could use an ERS-H motor generator solely in motor form to blow from the turbo no matter what engine revs you had. No lag and plenty of air for the diffuser at all times and with much lower weight penalty.
Super caps for E storage and a ERS-K in generator mode (overrun) only.
Last edited by autogyro on 01 Mar 2014, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

idfx

Dodge Deora 1967
It is Exotic.
----------

idfx

Ford Mustang Station Wagon
Exotic
Maverick Station Wagon
----------

wesley123

Not much aero going on in those images, idfx
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dandfx

Yep, that''s just weird cars now. time attack is a good area to explore (especially the cars DAMNINice mentioned).

They are pushing the limits of what works and as mentioned have limited but tightening restrictions.

Nemo detail shots and under the panels:

The MCA car on the first year was generating so much down force that it was bottoming out on the straight when it reached top speed.