Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
TwanV
TwanV

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Nice picture Machin, greetings from Rijswijk

MadMatt
MadMatt

Great DTM shot indeed. Agree, would be nice to see what's happening at the front too hehe but we already see few interesting details. vortex generators, curved surface in front of the wheels.

McMrocks
McMrocks

wesley123 wrote:Bumping with a pic of the DTM diffuser.

Never would have imagined the throat to be that wide.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=568F3EAF
I didn't know that they have a LMP-style front diffuser. Thanks for the pic.

Btw, It shows once more that F1 has the smallest diffuser of all popular racing series.

rjsa
rjsa

McMrocks wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Bumping with a pic of the DTM diffuser.

Never would have imagined the throat to be that wide.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=568F3EAF
I didn't know that they have a LMP-style front diffuser. Thanks for the pic.

Btw, It shows once more that F1 has the smallest diffuser of all popular racing series.
And the shortest one too, where the problem resides IMO..

Mr Nür

Very interesting thread!

Thanks for posting.

Sombrero
Sombrero

It's Monza time...

1970 Graham Hill, Brooke Bond Oxo Racing / Rob Walker, Lotus 72C #28 - did not race after Jochen Rindt accident.

wesley123
wesley123

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Formula Wrong

If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

djos

"In downforce we trust"

Facts Only
Facts Only

I read the article on Speed Hunters, worth it if you want a laugh. Apparently they have completely eliminated drag from the front wing! Completely eliminated, not just reduced, it actually has no drag apparently and creates tons of downforce.

I think HKS should start an F1 team as with their drag free wings they would have no problem winning.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

roon
roon

They sometimes lack specific language to describe what they're talking about but generally they have really good coverage of a wide variety of events. The photos are fantastic, as usual from them.

I'm a fan of Mr. Brilliant's work. The Tilton Evo was really well detailed and put together. This HKS car even moreso. He's been bringing an unseen level of development to time attack.

One thing I did pull from the article was about the front wing/splitter, referred to as the 'infinity wing.' They have a curvature to them which I think is for optimizing how they perform in yaw. So it's been designed to function well at a variety of yaw angles, hence the 'infinity' part. While turning, the outside wing would have more of its inner face exposed to the airstream, providing more downforce. In straight lines, they're more parallel to the airstream, reducing drag.

Formula Wrong

This probably isn't as bizarre as most other things posted in this thread; but I feel like it's bizarre enough:
During a Formula 4 race at Hockenheimring last year, one of the drivers lost his rear wing. In the pits, his mechanics apparently put some kind of replacement on the car:
(top picture: the car without rear wing; bottom picture: the car with the replacement rear wing)

I had never seen something like this before (and trust me, many rear wings get lost in F4).
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

roon
roon

F3 diffuser.

roon
roon

Formula Wrong wrote:This probably isn't as bizarre as most other things posted in this thread; but I feel like it's bizarre enough:
During a Formula 4 race at Hockenheimring last year, one of the drivers lost his rear wing. In the pits, his mechanics apparently put some kind of replacement on the car:
http://i.imgur.com/aQX2FOD.png
(top picture: the car without rear wing; bottom picture: the car with the replacement rear wing)

I had never seen something like this before (and trust me, many rear wings get lost in F4).
May have been a spare lower element they had. In 2009 an F3 team participated in a race with only the lower element installed.

Source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... top-speed/

Leon
Leon

"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho