Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
scarbs

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

humble sabot wrote:Holy crap dude! That thing was way ahead of its time! Look at the turning vanes near the rear wheels, just like those near the front of modern sidepods. The flat floor with a curved top surface between the wheel and coke bottle. It's even got a tea tray for pity's sake. Who was responsible for that?
Aero by was Henri Durand no less. Although the car was a quick flat bottom rehash of the 1982 JS19 wing car, with its full length ground effect tunnel sidepods. The car was way ahead of other ideas and never seemed to have had the 'press' it deserved.

bdr529

1158 wrote:
A NASCAR oddity (I do love that they had to sell these to the public!)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... runner.jpg
I came across this video a few months ago,
for something the size of the Titanic it isn't too bad, though I'm sure it was still a hand full at 200+ mph

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7jk85D2sE[/youtube]

Belatti

looking at the ligier gurneyflap link posted above I reached this:

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti

The aerodynamics of shadows :D

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

MadMatt

Shadows always had this craziness that made them stick out of the pack!

Lycoming

Sometimes, it's just all about the downforce.

By the way, don't drive a racecar without a fireproof suit, gloves etc. like the guy in the second picture. That's not a good thing to do.

Billzilla

The Aussie Bill Norman GEK.
Yes it looks 'orrible but it beats pretty much everything.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz0XN2Koo08[/youtube]

idfx

Luigi Colani Lamborghini Miura LeMans Concept
Cool Project
Last edited by idfx on 03 Jan 2014, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.
----------

langwadt

Lycoming wrote:Sometimes, it's just all about the downforce.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kYb135gpDGM/U ... ge2225.jpg

http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/images/ ... g_0209.jpg

By the way, don't drive a racecar without a fireproof suit, gloves etc. like the guy in the second picture. That's not a good thing to do.

if only that and the Lotus had been sponsored by Gillette :)

MadMatt

Billzilla wrote:The Aussie Bill Norman GEK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz0XN2Koo08
It indeed looks ugly. Beats everything in Australia you want to say? Because I've never seen an Aussie driver in the European Hillclimb Championship which is the world's reference. That car looks far from being optimized.

Billzilla

MadMatt wrote:

It indeed looks ugly. Beats everything in Australia you want to say? Because I've never seen an Aussie driver in the European Hillclimb Championship which is the world's reference. That car looks far from being optimized.
Congratulations on working all that out.

andylaurence

MadMatt wrote:

The title for the European Hillclimb Championship suggests it's the reference for Europe, but I'd say it's only the reference for mainland Europe. The British Hillclimb Championship is completely different and there is no crossover between the competitors. I'd wager that the ultimate pace would come from the British cars, given that they have more power, less weight and probably better aero than the European championship cars. Hopefully, we'll find out the answer in Eschdorf this October for the first International Masters, where the best cars from each country's championship are invited. Fingers crossed that each country is represented by its best.

You're right about one thing though - it's certainly ugly!

MadMatt

A bit bitter Billzilla for not having proper hill climb races or not knowing what it is really? I don't think it is the right thread but anyway I'll give it a go.

First of all, let me explain why I think British or Australian hillclimb championships are no way near hillclimb events as we name it in Europe (mainland). I recon the European Championship should be called Mountainclimb Championship because when you look at what kind of hills you get in England and in the EHC, it is far from being the same.

In England you have what I would call FSAE-type racecourses. It is very narrow, very twisty, short, and not very steep while we have fairly long races, steep, often 4-5m wide and very very fast.

andy, it doesn't mean that because it says European that it is not the reference. Look at the European Rallycross Championship: it is the world reference for example. You are also wrong at the pace. In Europe we have all kind of fast cars, from F3000 to GP2 formula cars, from DTM cars to old group B machines, from highly tuned Mitsubishi Evos to silhouette cars, and A LOT of prototypes (osella FA30, etc.). All these cars are ridiculously fast. Not to mention the drivers are very brave out there, and risk their life at every race, unlike racing in a Lord's park.

I know you are doing hillclimb races in England so don't take this personally but if you have been to a round in Europe you will know what I mean. It is another world. (I have been to both, I am not just saying this to troll)

But as you said it will be interesting to see in October. :)

Just so I don't get insulted, I will post a picture of an amazing car, the FA30. It is not bizarre per say, but with its central driver position and lot of aero devices, makes it agressive:

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Tommy Cookers

the original 'Golden Submarine' car of 1917 had windows made from metal gauze or mesh
the air mostly flowed over them, not through them, being already deflected by the rise of the cowl/'scuttle'
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 05 Jan 2014, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.