Car model (Lagrangian)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
delacf

Car model (Lagrangian)

Hi, folks. I'm doing this problem (obtaining Eqs. Moving through the Lagrangian) and I think I found a typo in the book: Reza Jazar, Vehicle Dynamics. However,I have checked if misprints appeared in recent editions of the book... ... And nothing.

Here, the typo. In the potential energy function:

What do you think ? Is it correct ? I don´t think so

Thank you very much

DaveW

Re: Car model (Lagrangian)

For what's worth, I think you are correct, but I don't think that is the only typo. What happened to kRf & kRr?

delacf

Thank you very much, Dave. Yes, he only considered front anti-roll bar.

I will continue writing on this topic. I will write the equations of motion and other... ...I think maybe this will help for someone.

Regards

delacf

This is the Lagragian of the system:

Regards

Pierce89

Ahh this thread reminds me of the good old days.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MadMatt

Never heard of that book but what they wrote is clearly wrong. I would do as you've done, inverting b1 and b2. I might have this in one of my courses but I don't have access to them at the moment. Nevertheless I am sure your correction is right.

DaveW

delacf wrote:This is the Lagragian of the system...
Just to spice things up a little, and to make the model more useful, you might think about adding an inerter to each corner suspension element, and then to isolate each using a series spring, representing "installation" compliance. A third suspension element at each axle, reacting heave & pitch (only), might also be useful....

delacf

Yes, DaveW. That is my intention: Inerter, Roll damper, third spring-damper...

Cold Fussion

How do you find the book? I'm interested in learning more about vehicle dynamics, especially now that I'm apart of an fsae team.

DaveW

delacf wrote:Yes, DaveW. That is my intention: Inerter, Roll damper, third spring-damper...
This might help, perhaps, courtesy of F1T's "tex" operator:

If is the force carried by a suspension module, is the inertial displacement of the hub and is the local inertial displacement of the sprung mass, then the transfer function of the suspension module is:

which is a first order lead filter with representing the spring rate, and representing the damping coefficient, is , is the angular frequency.

If an inerter of mass is placed in parallel with the damper, the transfer function becomes:

which is a second order lead filter. Alternatively, if the inerter is removed and a spring of value placed in series with the suspension module, the transfer function becomes:

which is a first order "all pass" filter. If an inerter is now added to the above, the transfer function becomes:

which is a second order "all pass" filter. Note that is no longer representative of the displacement of the damper in either of the last two cases...

delacf

Thank you very much for your time, DaveW. It's very interesting. I'll work about it :wink:
DaveW wrote: If is the force carried by a suspension module, is the inertial displacement of the hub and is the local inertial displacement of the sprung mass, then the transfer function of the suspension module is:

which is a first order lead filter with representing the spring rate, and representing the damping coefficient, is , is the angular frequency.

If an inerter of mass is placed in parallel with the damper, the transfer function becomes:

which is a second order lead filter.
I thought the inerter connected both sides of the vehicle :-k ( at least I think it is the most widely used scheme), DaveW. am I wrong ?

Regards

DaveW

delacf wrote: I thought the inerter connected both sides of the vehicle :-k ( at least I think it is the most widely used scheme), DaveW. am I wrong ?
No & Yes.... A 3rd mounted inerter is the most common arrangement in F1, but I believe the first car helped by inerters to a series championship (to be fair, not F1) used them on all four corners (it had no provision for 3rd inerters).

In any event, I included both options - case 3 (without) and case 4 (with). For a 3rd element it is necessary to re-define .

For me, the inclusion of "installation" compliance is important particularly because it couples with inerters, which can then have a major effect on hub mode control (reducing both the natural frequency and damping ratio).

delacf

I think I could write the rayleigh function due to roll-damper as:

It's very similar to anti-roll bar.

And I have a question too... How can I define the contact patch load transfer function ??? What is its definition ???

I thought it was well:

... But this transfer function have more zeros than poles... :|

Regards :wink: