Is this exhaust system legal?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
AdrianBelmonte_

Is this exhaust system legal?

I just made a blueprint of a exhaust system and i have some doubts about of his legality

Here's the picture

CBeck113

Re: Is this exhaust system legal?

No, sorry, but htere's no bodywork allowed within a 35mm radius of the centerline of the exhaust pipe.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

wuzak

And the pipe is too short. It has to be behind the rear axle line.

Scratch that - I thought the black circle was the tyre, but it isn't.

scarbs

Although not written in the rules, there's a Tech directive saying exhaust gasses cannot be 're-ingested', this means any physical method to duct exhaust flow is not allowed.

So your design wouldn't be allowed.

matt21

scarbs wrote:Although not written in the rules, there's a Tech directive saying exhaust gasses cannot be 're-ingested', this means any physical method to duct exhaust flow is not allowed.

Newey had something similar in mind back in 2012.
But it was banned/outlawed.

Neno

matt21 wrote:
scarbs wrote:Although not written in the rules, there's a Tech directive saying exhaust gasses cannot be 're-ingested', this means any physical method to duct exhaust flow is not allowed.

Newey had something similar in mind back in 2012.
But it was banned/outlawed.
Newey had idea similar as ERS (Energy recovery system). Instead of energy from turbo it would stored gasses from exaust pipes into unit and when car would brake into corner it would release gasses directly into diffuser giving car stability and downforce. It's unknown if system was controlled by driver with button on steering wheel, but that was idea.

AdrianBelmonte_

And is there not some way to take advantage of the exhaust gases under the current rules?

Holm86

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:And is there not some way to take advantage of the exhaust gases under the current rules?
I was thinking about a tailpipe which changes dimension in last section. For instance from a Ø150 to a Ø130 and then back up to Ø150. But these circles wouldn't be coaxial. The bottom part of these circles would be tangent to each other. This would give some sort of coanda bulge on the top of the pipe causing the exhaust gasses to travel upwards after they exit the pipe. I think this would be within regulations and I can try to sketch it up later.

AdrianBelmonte_

Holm86 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:And is there not some way to take advantage of the exhaust gases under the current rules?
I was thinking about a tailpipe which changes dimension in last section. For instance from a Ø150 to a Ø130 and then back up to Ø150. But these circles wouldn't be coaxial. The bottom part of these circles would be tangent to each other. This would give some sort of coanda bulge on the top of the pipe causing the exhaust gasses to travel upwards after they exit the pipe. I think this would be within regulations and I can try to sketch it up later.
That sounds good

CBeck113

What if...you used a tube, with the top opening similar to Adrian's, but perpendicular to the exhaust flow (no redirection of exhaust gases), with the other end just above the upper end of the diffusor. Beside teh fact that it would sound horribly loud (aka blowing over the mouth of a bottle :o ) but would the pressure drop be enough to help the diffusor? I can imagine that the delta p is high, but enough for a positive effect? Do I have to get my books out & start calculating, or can someone give me a practical example why it wouldn't work? I hate when my head does this to me...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

wuzak

Holm86 wrote:
The last 150mm of pipe has to be a cylinder. Before that you can have bodywork to achieve the same effect.

wuzak

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I just made a blueprint of a exhaust system and i have some doubts about of his legality

Here's the picture

http://i.imgur.com/f87hmpY.png
CBeck113 wrote:No, sorry, but htere's no bodywork allowed within a 35mm radius of the centerline of the exhaust pipe.

There is also some rules which make it impossible to implement.

5.8.5 There must be no bodywork lying within a right circular cylinder which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a diameter 30mm greater than the tailpipe.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as a point 600mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

and

3.14.1 No part of the car may be more than 600mm behind the rear wheel centre line or more than 1200mm in front of the front wheel centre line.

So there is no way to put such a pipe in the gas stream.

wuzak

CBeck113 wrote:What if...you used a tube, with the top opening similar to Adrian's, but perpendicular to the exhaust flow (no redirection of exhaust gases), with the other end just above the upper end of the diffusor. Beside teh fact that it would sound horribly loud (aka blowing over the mouth of a bottle :o ) but would the pressure drop be enough to help the diffusor? I can imagine that the delta p is high, but enough for a positive effect? Do I have to get my books out & start calculating, or can someone give me a practical example why it wouldn't work? I hate when my head does this to me...
I suspect that it would have to be quite large to create any noticeable effect. If it made any effect at all.