Changes for 2015

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
matt21

Changes for 2015

Can anybody tell, what these changes imply?
ARTICLE 22:
CHANGES FOR 2015
22.1 Changes to Article 3.15 :
Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 (in addition to minimal parts solely associated with its actuation) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
a) Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
b) Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).

With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 (in addition to minimal parts solely associated with its actuation) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.

turbof1

Re: Changes for 2015

That'll probably be an attempt to remove the mclaren suspension.
#AeroFrodo

matt21

turbof1 wrote:That'll probably be an attempt to remove the mclaren suspension.
But, like you said, this is suspension.

I´m reading it as the DRS is considered bodywork now.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I don't see how this changes anything about the suspension arms geometry allowed. If the FIA wants to ban the McLaren type suspension, it is article 10.3 that needs to be changed.
If they would add an additional point d in 10.3.1 that says:

d) Have a maximum height of 30mm, measured perpendicular to the major axis

the McLaren bells clearly would be illegal, as they are currently ~100mm in height. You could still try to achieve a bit of downforce from these 30mm arms, but i would guess that the effect would be dramatically reduced compared to the current design.

2014 Technical Regulations

"10.3 Suspension members :
10.3.1 With the exception of minimal local changes of section for the passage of hydraulic brake lines, electrical wiring and wheel tethers or the attachment of flexures, rod ends and spherical bearings, the cross-sections of each member of every suspension component, when taken normal to a straight line between the inner and outer attachment points, must :
a) Intersect the straight line between the inner and outer attachment points.
b) Have a major axis no greater than 100mm.
c) Have an aspect ratio no greater than 3.5:1.
d) Have no dimension which exceeds 100mm.
The major axis will be defined as the largest axis of symmetry of any such cross-section. The length of the intersection of this axis with the cross-section must not be less than 95% of the maximum dimension of the section."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Mamba
Mamba

Can you guys please explain the regulations on page 74. According to my understanding there can be no structure above a diagonal line passing from 525 above the reference plane to a point 625 above the ref plane and 375 behind line AA. Does this rule still allow a vanity panel above this line? I am referring to the nose/crash structure in front of the survival cell.

Thanks
MAMBA