New exhaust concept for F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
riff_raff

Re: New exhaust concept for F1

As simieski noted above, that daisy mixer was designed to reduce noise of turbofan engines by reducing the turbulence where the core exhaust and bypass flows merge.

You can see one on this Rolls-Royce BR710 engine:

"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

idfx

Re: 2014 Design

Tim.Wright wrote:
idfx wrote:
Lycoming wrote:What's the purpose of that geometry?
create some vórtices
I always worry when I see painstakingly detailed renderings of a new idea...

If you want to slow the car down by introducing more drag, it would be easier to put a hoizontal barn door between the rear wing endplates.

BTW I'm sure this is illegal too. If I remember correctly the last 100mm or so needs to be a straight section of round tube.
Offtopic ->
I did some studies (in March). Rear wing - column. wanted some downforce
The form of "U". creates some doubts-> the interpretation of the regulation. This area may have other functions.
Imagens

You can send me a reference (photo, drawings, movie) about "barn door". I have questions.
I made another model from the rear and do not know if it's the same thing (barn door).
thanks for the advice
----------

thepowerofnone

Holm86 wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:The mixing is not a new concept, but imo, will not have much advantage here. The primary benefit for aircraft that have echelons on the turbofan cover is that the mixing flow allows for a significant noise reduction
So if mixing the flows reduces the noise, will separate the flows work the other way round?? For instance having a gurney flap (lacking a better word in this case) around the tailpipe exit. Could that increase the sound of the exhaust??
As I understand it the point of mixing the flow is less about reducing the energy spent creating sound and more about changing the frequency of the sound, mixing the flow creates a high frequency sound which is harder to hear because higher frequency sounds require more energy to generate and do not travel so well in air. All wings create sound because the boundaries layers and the wake itself all oscillate. A gurney flap would create sound but nothing like what you are looking for - for a bit of comparison, most of the sound you hear when a plane is coming into land above you is the sound of drag, not the sound of the engines which are often near idle position.

riff_raff

thepowerofnone wrote:As I understand it the point of mixing the flow is less about reducing the energy spent creating sound and more about changing the frequency of the sound, mixing the flow creates a high frequency sound which is harder to hear because higher frequency sounds require more energy to generate and do not travel so well in air. All wings create sound because the boundaries layers and the wake itself all oscillate. A gurney flap would create sound but nothing like what you are looking for - for a bit of comparison, most of the sound you hear when a plane is coming into land above you is the sound of drag, not the sound of the engines which are often near idle position.
Mostly correct. It takes energy to produce noise. Noise is basically acoustic energy propagating through the air. With turbofan aircraft engines, the exhaust noise is mostly produced from significant turbulence created when the high velocity exhaust gas flows pass over the sharp edge of the exhaust duct and mix with the lower velocity bypass airflows. What the daisy mixer does is rapidly expand and slow some of the exhaust flow so that it creates less turbulence (and noise) when it mixes with the bypass flow. The trade-off is reduced efficiency in the exhaust flow.

PlatinumZealot

So Riff-raff,...Since they reduce Noise, one can say then, that daisy mixers on the exhaust tips are not what we want in Formula 1. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

idfx

explaining the idea
The (A) image is a representation of a exhaust (sorry if my drawing is rudimentary);
Imagem A
A (B) image shows the behavior of gases and air shrouded the exhaust (daisy style);
Imagem B
- Use this displacement of air to create a suction.
Examples and image (C) (D).
Imagem C
Imagem D
I do not know if the idea complies with the rules or not. I am refining the idea.
The differences in speed of the outside and inside the exhaust, would create a suction to be applied:
- In aid of the cooling the car;
- On cooling of the wheels;
- Create new aerodynamic effects;
I do not want to create dirty air or any intention to harm the integrity of the pilot and the rules. I try to eliminate the problem.
Dirty air can be eliminated with a different angle of 5. If both (gas + air outside) is parallel, eliminating the vortices, the dirty air turbulence.
I do not know exactly the amount of suction pressure generated in this system, if something inversely proportional to the blown exhaust can be used to set up for other solutions.
Vortices can be used for suction and applied in various areas of the car, the rear wing on the sides and under the car
I'll post the evolution of ideas.
----------

strad

"""We have some highly complex solutions within the exhaust system," said Wolff, "and also one like a 'megaphone' that simply opens up at the end -- with all the problems that brings with it," said Wolff."""

OK you know it alls..What problems that brings with it??
Every Triumph,,Royal Enfield..BSA etc back in the day ran megaphone exhausts..I never noticed a problem.
not enough backpressure?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

riff_raff

n smikle wrote:So Riff-raff,...Since they reduce Noise, one can say then, that daisy mixers on the exhaust tips are not what we want in Formula 1. :wink:
Consider this extreme example: Imagine if the engine was able to operate effectively with exhaust valve timing where the valve did not open until the gas pressure in the cylinder had been expanded to just above atmospheric level. This would basically mean that almost every last bit of energy existing in the combustion gas had been extracted by the piston, and the exhaust gas volume remaining in the cylinder would need to be pushed out the exhaust manifold by the upstroke of the piston. Such an engine would produce virtually no exhaust noise.

I can't see what the benefit of a daisy mixer on an F1 engine exhaust would be, unless the exhaust energy added to the entrained airflow was somehow put to use.

idfx

riff_raff wrote:
n smikle wrote:So Riff-raff,...Since they reduce Noise, one can say then, that daisy mixers on the exhaust tips are not what we want in Formula 1. :wink:
Consider this extreme example: Imagine if the engine was able to operate effectively with exhaust valve timing where the valve did not open until the gas pressure in the cylinder had been expanded to just above atmospheric level. This would basically mean that almost every last bit of energy existing in the combustion gas had been extracted by the piston, and the exhaust gas volume remaining in the cylinder would need to be pushed out the exhaust manifold by the upstroke of the piston. Such an engine would produce virtually no exhaust noise.
I could be wrong.
the sound occurs one previous cycle. the explosion cycle. part of the sound propagates around the engine area. And part of the sound of an engine is created by transferring or resonance. -> solid, liquid and gaseous.
Another important factor: the "turbine exhaust".
Indenpendente the sound of the engine, the turbine modifies the original sound.

Naturally the solution to refine the turbo(because of the sound): teams will exploit this opportunity for other purposes.
----------

riff_raff

idfx wrote:I could be wrong.
the sound occurs one previous cycle. the explosion cycle. part of the sound propagates around the engine area. And part of the sound of an engine is created by transferring or resonance. -> solid, liquid and gaseous.
What your ear perceives as exhaust noise is a pressure wave that propagates thru the air from the exhaust pipe outlet to your eardrum. The pressure wave exiting the exhaust pipe is produced by the rapid discharge of high-pressure exhaust gas from the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, which is well after the combustion event occurs. Since there is only air between your eardrum and the engine, the acoustic energy must ultimately be transferred thru this gas.

thisisatest

what's under the wrap? looks a lot like what's being drawn. (pic courtesy of Stefan_ in the Williams thread)
don't the gaps at the edge of the wrap look like this pic?

riff_raff

thisisatest wrote:what's under the wrap? looks a lot like what's being drawn.
Could be some device to de-swirl/straighten the exhaust flow. The exhaust flow exiting the turbine has a substantial tangential velocity component. When this flow exits the exhaust pipe just a short distance away it will still have a helical flow path, and this helical flow may produce some aero unbalance at the rear of the car.

idfx

I'll make other alternatives. now focused entirely on sound.
----------

idfx

thisisatest wrote:what's under the wrap? looks a lot like what's being drawn. (pic courtesy of Stefan_ in the Williams thread)
http://i.imgur.com/yl9eMRS.jpg
don't the gaps at the edge of the wrap look like this pic?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-b4zG ... ust+02.jpg
About the photo: image of the inside?
I have to analyze the sound and air displacement. Can someone record a video, private test Tuesday and Wednesday?
Last edited by idfx on 12 May 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
----------

Holm86

Pretty sure it's just a metalband with holes in it holding the exhaust in place.

EDIT* look at this picture. Its just what I said.