how is the seat attach to the cockpit ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream

how is the seat attach to the cockpit ?

hello guys,
i need please to know how is the seat, the chair in which the driver sits in, attached to the cockpit ?
i need please some pictures about it

thepowerofnone

Re: how is the seat attach to the cockpit ?

The answer is going to be a little disappointing but the seat isn't attached at all. Regs require that the seat can be lifted out with the driver still in it in the event of a crash, in case of a spinal injury. You will struggle to find detail photos of the F1 seat on the web but they aren't dissimilar from the lower racing classes. Here is a photo of a Formula Ford seat: http://www.britishracecar.com/ScottFair ... P3A-EA.jpg . The seat rests against the floor and a bulkhead just in front of the fuel tank; it can't go forwards or up because when the driver is in it he/she is strapped in preventing it from moving.

countersteer

Not to hijack the post but I think I remember reading somewhere that seats were being designed as two piece or possibly hinged. The idea was to be able to leave the driver on the seatback as a backboard to allow transport without further movement. F1? Indycar? Can't remember. Or did I make this up? Thanks...

beelsebob

countersteer wrote:Not to hijack the post but I think I remember reading somewhere that seats were being designed as two piece or possibly hinged. The idea was to be able to leave the driver on the seatback as a backboard to allow transport without further movement. F1? Indycar? Can't remember. Or did I make this up? Thanks...
No need for 2 parts or hinges, the seats already act as back boards. That's the entire reason for them being removable without any locks etc. The marshals simply lift the driver out, helmet on, and put them in the ambulance.

firasf1dream

ok so the seat has simply 4 places where 4 pieces of the cockpit goes in to make it steady ? (Excuse me for not getting the words right but i hope you understood what i meant)

piast9

It's the 6 point harness that holds driver and the seat in place.

thepowerofnone

The seat is made from a single piece of material, often something like carbon fibre. In F1, it is made from a mould of the driver sitting in the car; in lower classes it is a standard part and foam is then placed around the driver to make them more comfortable. The seat has two "handles" at the edge, one half way down each side, and one on the bottom edge, so that the driver can be lifted out whilst still in the seat. This seat is then place in the cockpit. The driver then gets in.

The driver is then strapped in, in my experience by a 3 point harness with leg straps but there are more complex harnesses, generally the higher the cornering loads the more complex the harness to stop the driver sliding around in the cockpit. On a three point harness there is one strap coming over each shoulder, attached to the top of the bulkhead, and another strap coming up off the floor between the drivers legs. You feed this third strap through two loops, one going each leg, so that when all three main straps are buckled together near to the driver's sternum the thighs of the driver are also restricted. To get the driver out you need only undo the point where all three main straps meet then just lift the driver out whilst still in the seat.

firasf1dream

thanks a lot guys for the info this really helped
and thanks for the video and link are amazing ! :D