Question about the suspension attachment to the wheel base !

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Question about the suspension attachment to the wheel base !

hello guys,
i am trying to understand the regulation F1 of 2012 the suspensions section, so i need some help locating where exactly should the wishbones be attached on the wheel base ? can anyone please give me the dimension of it or how can i attach it to the base ?
here is a picture i drew on photoshop to show what i mean

[img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/ ... f89380.jpg[/img]

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Question about the suspension attachment to the wheel ba

Perhaps these photos will illustrate what you're after:

Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

very helpful picture but what i want to know is if there is any rule to where the attachment should be places or not necessary ?
what i am looking for exactly is the front suspension of the mclaren mp4-27

thepowerofnone
thepowerofnone

I don't believe there is any regulations on where it is placed, as such a rule would restrict push/pull rod suspension choice. The desired location is as low as possible, however due to geometric constraints it will likely place above the lower wishbone as in the photograph.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

thepowerofnone wrote:I don't believe there is any regulations on where it is placed, as such a rule would restrict push/pull rod suspension choice. The desired location is as low as possible, however due to geometric constraints it will likely place above the lower wishbone as in the photograph.
aha ok but i meant the upper wishbone

thepowerofnone
thepowerofnone

Oh lord, I thought you were on about the push/pull rod. Oddly enough my previous comment now looks like I was trolling you. Apologies.

The upper wishbone is going to be placed as high on the wheel hub as possible; the lower wishbone is going to be placed as low on the wheel hub as possible. The size of the wheel hub is geometrically restricted by the internal diameter of the wheel rim, but other than that is unrestricted by the rules.

marcush.
marcush.

One hint there:

the Suspension pickups are usually not placed by chance but more a conscious choice of constraints!

You need at least some steering lock available
You have to place some bulkheads inside the tub -this is a mandatory technical Regulation so it makes sense to use These mandatory section to double up as Suspension pickup supports or even make them Suspension pickups .Only with high Levels of Integration (Structures serving more thn one requirement) you will end up ticking all the boxes without ending with a car substantially on the heavy side .

so the pickups are indeed something to think off quite early and you Need to integrate your thinking of Suspension requirements into your whole packaging .

you can off course do it different and counterintuitive always.. look no further than the new Bottom wishbone of this years W05:

lotus7
lotus7

Marcush , wasn't the original question the fixing at the hub and not at the tub ?

marcush.
marcush.

As Claude rouelle would have said:
This may not have been the question but this is my answer :D :D :D

the thread starter took the word wheelbase -which discribes the distance of front to rear axle- instead of using correct terminology -the wheel is attached to the hub (if there is a hub) and the hub is turning within the upright if you happen to speak about indipendant suspension .

I might be nitpicky but if you really want to go any deep into the subject you should at least try not to confuse people with your very own ways of naming the bits and pieces .
I have heard people talking about steering arms when actually it was the tierod they were pointing at...so how can we discuss when everyone is calling things just as it pleases him . It seems rather impossible..Therfore I chose the alternate possibility to understand the post and answered accordingly.

thepowerofnone
thepowerofnone

marcush. wrote:As Claude rouelle would have said:

the thread starter took the word wheelbase -which discribes the distance of front to rear axle- instead of using correct terminology -the wheel is attached to the hub (if there is a hub) and the hub is turning within the upright if you happen to speak about indipendant suspension .

I might be nitpicky but if you really want to go any deep into the subject you should at least try not to confuse people with your very own ways of naming the bits and pieces .
I have heard people talking about steering arms when actually it was the tierod they were pointing at...so how can we discuss when everyone is calling things just as it pleases him . It seems rather impossible..Therfore I chose the alternate possibility to understand the post and answered accordingly.
In his defence the thread starter primarily speaks French, so technical vocabulary is always going to be difficult. Your statements about the tub pickups are however valid, and knowing why firasf1dream is asking the questions he is, I suspect you answered his next question before he had to ask it.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

thepowerofnone wrote:
marcush. wrote:As Claude rouelle would have said:

In his defence the thread starter primarily speaks French, so technical vocabulary is always going to be difficult. Your statements about the tub pickups are however valid, and knowing why firasf1dream is asking the questions he is, I suspect you answered his next question before he had to ask it.
@thepowerofnone you're the best man :D you got it all i want to know both the tub and hub exact position of the fixing is there is any exact positions for that, the regulations are general and doesn't go into detail because i guess the details are the challenge for engineers, what regulation does is put limits
well sorry for my terms but unfortunately i don't know the exact words of some parts of the F1 car that's one reason i am here on this great website
well @thepowerofnone so u were talking about the angle between the tub and the push/pull rod which is 30 degrees ?
well what i did is the angle of the wishbones between the front arm of the wishbone and the rear arm is 45 degrees that's my dimension which i took and here is a picture of my final front wishbones upper and lower which are symmetrical

here is the link (i am still not able to make the image appear here on the post :S)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/ ... f15fd8.jpg

thepowerofnone
thepowerofnone

Sorry, I never mentioned an angle between the push/pull rod and the tub/upright. It is not necessarily 30 degrees, although that will probably be close.

Your wishbones all look pretty accurate. Maybe a few degrees out but nothing significant.

That sketch that Jersey Tom posted is pretty close to what the push/pull rod will look like. I will PM you a link to a .pdf scan of some appropriate sketches of the MP4-27, from Giorgio Piola's Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2012/13 book - I'm giving you all I'm happy to give you given the copyright on the book. Its an outstanding series of books, if you're serious about your models I recommend you buy yourself a copy, the drawings are unrivalled and the original is in Italian. I know that you speak French but if you live in the correct part of France you might speak some Italian too, if so you will find it a lot easier to understand. I doubt it comes in a French version but you might be lucky.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

thepowerofnone wrote:Sorry, I never mentioned an angle between the push/pull rod and the tub/upright. It is not necessarily 30 degrees, although that will probably be close.

Your wishbones all look pretty accurate. Maybe a few degrees out but nothing significant.

That sketch that Jersey Tom posted is pretty close to what the push/pull rod will look like. I will PM you a link to a .pdf scan of some appropriate sketches of the MP4-27, from Giorgio Piola's Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2012/13 book - I'm giving you all I'm happy to give you given the copyright on the book. Its an outstanding series of books, if you're serious about your models I recommend you buy yourself a copy, the drawings are unrivalled and the original is in Italian. I know that you speak French but if you live in the correct part of France you might speak some Italian too, if so you will find it a lot easier to understand. I doubt it comes in a French version but you might be lucky.
thanks a lot this is really cool and yes i am interested how can i have a copy of this book ?
well yes i am sorry it's not you who told me about the angle it's on another post i got confused about it then i checked
i am not actually from France, i am from Lebanon, we take our science education at school in french, and our third language is english, i am good at english but problem is with the technical and engineering stuff it's a little bit difficult but at the end i manage to do it, everything that i do personally related to F1 and else project i do in english and not french

beelsebob
beelsebob

firasf1dream wrote:thanks a lot this is really cool and yes i am interested how can i have a copy of this book ?
It's available for sale in a bunch of places.
http://www.amazon.com/Formula-Technical ... 8879115790

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

will see if it's available in the virgin megastore here
Last edited by firasf1dream on 07 May 2014, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.