Looking for a writer to explain Aerodynamics in simple terms

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PitLaneReporter

Looking for a writer to explain Aerodynamics in simple terms

I am the editor of the new international motor sport magazine Pit Lane Reporter. I would like to cover Aerodynamics of an F1 car but in very simple terms, kind of like a 'dummies guide'. If anyone is interested you can find contact details on our website or you can reply to this message. I'd love to hear from anyone passionate about motor racing and aero that would like to help.

Hope to hear from one of you soon.

Cheers

Phil

MOWOG

Re: Looking for a writer to explain Aerodynamics in simple t

Here you go, from one dummy to another! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfoil
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

turbof1

PitLaneReporter wrote:I am the editor of the new international motor sport magazine Pit Lane Reporter. I would like to cover Aerodynamics of an F1 car but in very simple terms, kind of like a 'dummies guide'. If anyone is interested you can find contact details on our website or you can reply to this message. I'd love to hear from anyone passionate about motor racing and aero that would like to help.

Cheers

Phil
I have a little bit of experience in this; I wrote 2 articles for f1technical:
http://www.f1technical.net/features/19217
http://www.f1technical.net/features/19180

Basicilly I don't mind taking a little side project.

Send a PM with some details like how big you want your article, and how detailed I should go (for instance do I even need to bother with explaining how high and low pressure interacts?), and of course: what's in it for me :P?
#AeroFrodo

thepowerofnone

turbof1 those are some really nice breakdowns, I hadn't seen them before but you get a +1 for them.

I'd be happy to help out explaining the basic of aero, although it looks like turbof1 would be a better bet based on those articles: clearly he already has some experience writing technical articles. The offer stands all the same.

One useful piece of information Phil would be are you looking for someone to teach you the basics so you can write an informed article or someone to write a segment of an article for you? There is quite a difference from an explanation standpoint.

turbof1

thepowerofnone wrote:turbof1 those are some really nice breakdowns, I hadn't seen them before but you get a +1 for them.

I'd be happy to help out explaining the basic of aero, although it looks like turbof1 would be a better bet based on those articles: clearly he already has some experience writing technical articles. The offer stands all the same.

One useful piece of information Phil would be are you looking for someone to teach you the basics so you can write an informed article or someone to write a segment of an article for you? There is quite a difference from an explanation standpoint.
Thank you. I am also willing to share if that's optional, but since we are taking aerodynamics to the basics I think the publisher should give us an idea how long the article should be and how detailed. It's anyhow impossible to cramp a full article on this in 2-3 A4's; you'd need to explain atleast the basics of aerodynamics no matter how simple you want to keep it, before even starting on the car.
#AeroFrodo

thepowerofnone

That's kind of you however if it is to be written by one of us it would better if it were written by a single person for continuity, so by all means you do it. I am quite busy over the next few weeks anyway so probably can't give it the attention it deserves. Will happily read a final draft and give you my two cents on how readable it is if that's something you would like, although by no means feel obliged to take me up on that.

Kiril Varbanov

PitLaneReporter wrote:I am the editor of the new international motor sport magazine Pit Lane Reporter. I would like to cover Aerodynamics of an F1 car but in very simple terms, kind of like a 'dummies guide'. If anyone is interested you can find contact details on our website or you can reply to this message. I'd love to hear from anyone passionate about motor racing and aero that would like to help.

Cheers

Phil
I've done this a while ago with a similar intent - http://f1framework.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... ssary.html

Feel free to cite, copy, steal and sell everything.

bhall

Devil's advocate: I'd caution against the use of untrained aerodynamic analysis. It's one thing to discuss such things in an informal setting such as a forum, but it's quite another to do so from an ostensibly authoritative position like a magazine. While some things within the realm are intuitive and pretty easily understood, many more aerodynamic phenomena are not.

I think a grasp of that which is obvious, combined with the fact that a complete understanding of aerodynamics simply does not exist in any form, leads many people to think they know more about it than they actually do. Lord knows I'm as guilty of that as anyone else. But, I just cringe when I see a lot of the stuff that's thrown about around here, especially some of the garbage put forth by none other than yours truly.

At any rate, it's just some food for thought. Best of luck with your magazine.

PitLaneReporter

Wow guys, thanks for the response. I will DM all you guys who responded.

Pit Lane Reporter is a magazine by the fans for the fans, this means it can make use of your passion and I am sure the readers will love it.

Thanks again

PitLaneReporter

turboF1 and Kiril, could you email me at phil@pitlanereporter.com as I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to PM either of you.

I will email you both back as I love your work.

Thanks again

Phil

NoDivergence

bhall wrote:Devil's advocate: I'd caution against the use of untrained aerodynamic analysis. It's one thing to discuss such things in an informal setting such as a forum, but it's quite another to do so from an ostensibly authoritative position like a magazine. While some things within the realm are intuitive and pretty easily understood, many more aerodynamic phenomena are not.

I think a grasp of that which is obvious, combined with the fact that a complete understanding of aerodynamics simply does not exist in any form, leads many people to think they know more about it than they actually do. Lord knows I'm as guilty of that as anyone else. But, I just cringe when I see a lot of the stuff that's thrown about around here, especially some of the garbage put forth by none other than yours truly.

At any rate, it's just some food for thought. Best of luck with your magazine.
This may be true, but remember, there is also plenty of knowledge around here. I will get my MS in Aerospace in two weeks and I'm currently writing a paper regarding racecar aerodynamics. I'm still learning things all the time even though I know the fundamentals