Suspension geometry or static camber with active suspension?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
g-force_addict
g-force_addict

Suspension geometry or static camber with active suspension?

Was suspension geometry or static camber any different when used with active suspension?

If they had almost no body roll, Did they use more static camber?

Also did they use more similarly sized upper and lower control arms as there was no need for (roll induced) camber gain?

Luke
Luke

Re: Suspension geometry or static camber with active suspens

With less or no body roll you wouldn't need as much static camber as generally speaking the sla arm does t gain back in camber what it loses when the car rolls.

With the amount of sprung mass roll angle for a typical f1 car (I would guess to be half a degree as a stab in the dark?) I doubt there would be much need to change too much geometry wise. As it will still be massively compromised for aero regardless

olefud
olefud

I would guess that when turning a bit of outside tire negative camber would be useful to counter tire distortion. However, braking works better with no camber. And maybe a bit of positive camber going straight to minimize rolling resistance.

tuj
tuj

I don't have the book in front of me, but I seem to recall that the FW14B was unequal length a-arm suspension (thus designed for camber recovery to some extent).

chayanitsingh
chayanitsingh

Re:Damping ratio

How to decide damping ratio for a given dampers.Also how to decide number of wraps in a coil spring.How to decide suspension frequency for front and rear suspension ? Plz reply soooonnnnnn..

Tim.Wright

Roll a dice...
Not the engineer at Force India