Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
MadMatt

Re: Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

The reason for bigger WRC wheels is to accomodate bigger brakes, that is the MAIN reason. We still use 15" on gravel with 330mm brakes because it is more than enough to lock wheels. For sure over heating is a problem sometimes but it works well. F1 cars with carbon brakes and much less weight can easly cope with 13" wheels to lock wheels even at 300kph.

xpensive

MadMatt wrote: ...
F1 cars with carbon brakes and much less weight can easly cope with 13" wheels to lock wheels even at 300kph.
My point precisely, which begs the question;

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

smellybeard

xpensive wrote: My point precisely, which begs the question;

http://simonmainwaring.com/wp-content/u ... 08/why.jpg
Marketing an the megawatt stereo brigade.

Duke

More relevant to road cars. 13" do look silly and although I thought the 18s would look terrible, they actually looked okay imo.

bhall II

MUST GO BIGGER
crash.net wrote:Hembery: Pirelli focusing on 19-inch F1 tyres not 18-inch

Pirelli is working on 19-inch tyres for F1 in the future rather than 18-inch, motorsport director, Paul Hembery has revealed.

Pirelli tested its 18-inch concept tyres at Silverstone last month, following the British Grand Prix, with Lotus test and reserve driver Charles Pic running a handful of laps on them.

Hembery revealed then that the Italian manufacturer could be ready to switch to 18-inch tyres in 2016, but has now come out and said the company is doing more work on 19-inch tyres, as opposed to 18-inch.

“We are doing a lot of work - probably focusing on 19-inch now, if I am really honest with you,” Hembery confirmed. “We are carrying on our work internally on those developments and so from our point of view it goes ahead.”

Asked what his preference would be, if the sport does opt for change, Hembery said Pirelli would prefer 19-inch tyres: “18-inch tyres we have got everywhere and 19 is different,” he replied.

As for width, he added: “It is too early to say. I think that depends on what package of aero changes they are going to make and what they think they might do with the suspension. We have heard talk of some form of active suspension. I am not sure if that is going to happen or not. But there is a lot of aspects they are talking about which could change what we do with that.”

Thunder

Paul said the same thing Weeks ago. They were evaluation 19 and 20 Inch Wheels. It's ok to me. Everything that's bigger than these goggomobile Wheels we have now is better imho.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SectorOne

I´m the exact opposite, putting on stilt like BS-wheels for fun is a ridiculous idea.
Next up, spinners and neon lights. 2 slow 4 me.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

wow, when will people ever stop coming up with that "Spinners and Neons" stuff?
I mean lets be honest that is overexaggeration at it's finest.

The Teams, CVC, FIA, Pirelli.... don't run F1 because they like Motorsport oh so much, they run it for Money, mainly Marketing. That's why Merc threatened to leave F1 if the V6 Hybrid Engines wouldn't have come. And that's exactly why Pirelli (and btw. Michelin too) what bigger Wheels. Road Car relevancy IS hugely important. Pirelli targets the buyers of a VW Golf GTI, Vauxhal Astra OPC, Ford Focus ST...... all the sporty hot hatches. Add to that the BMW 3 and 5, Audi A3 and A4.... allthe modern Mid Class Cars. They all come with wheels in the Range of 17 - 19 Inch STOCK FROM THE FACTORY. That is a huge Market.
They don't target the Pimp wid dem 24's.

I don't say you have to like it, but please be reasonable. 18 Inch is a Wheel size most Tuning Companies laugh about nowadays.
#aerogollum

dans79

Thunders wrote:wow, when will people ever stop coming up with that "Spinners and Neons" stuff?
I mean lets be honest that is overexaggeration at it's finest.

The Teams, CVC, FIA, Pirelli.... don't run F1 because they like Motorsport oh so much, they run it for Money, mainly Marketing. That's why Merc threatened to leave F1 if the V6 Hybrid Engines wouldn't have come. And that's exactly why Pirelli (and btw. Michelin too) what bigger Wheels. Road Car relevancy IS hugely important. Pirelli targets the buyers of a VW Golf GTI, Vauxhal Astra OPC, Ford Focus ST...... all the sporty hot hatches. Add to that the BMW 3 and 5, Audi A3 and A4.... allthe modern Mid Class Cars. They all come with wheels in the Range of 17 - 19 Inch STOCK FROM THE FACTORY. That is a huge Market.
They don't target the Pimp wid dem 24's.

I don't say you have to like it, but please be reasonable. 18 Inch is a Wheel size most Tuning Companies laugh about nowadays.
I agree with all of this!

For some perspective, my first car was a 1984 v6 mustang with throttle body fuel injection, and it ran on stock 14" rims. IMO 13" rims in 2014+ is ridiculous.
197 104 103 7

Jersey Tom

Thunders wrote:They all come with wheels in the Range of 17 - 19 Inch STOCK FROM THE FACTORY.
As I've said before - wheel size is probably more often than not driven by marketing, not engineering.

In any event, Pirelli better hope they're making a wise choice here... and not say commit to 19" wheels and then end up failing tires at every race. They struggled enough as it was with their first cut of 13" rim dia tires a few years ago - and that's after they already had experience with it back in the 80's.

Doing race tires is hard enough when you're making small changes and you don't know how the teams are going to adjust around it, using and abusing the product. That's a big moving target. Jumping from 13 to 18-19" wheels? Dangerous territory IMO.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Thunder

Of course that one is primarily driven by Marketing.
18 Inch Racing Tires are nothing new so i don't believe there will be safety issues. Wwoever the Tire Supplier will be in 2017, they will get enough Testing to ensure the Tires will be up to theTask.
#aerogollum

FW17

Are both the same size

Thunder

I'm all for it. Hopefuly we will see them in 2017.

Looks Badass on that GP2.
#aerogollum

skoop

i like them aswell. it's a good step towards more agressive looking cars