Question about roll structure of F1 car !

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream

Question about roll structure of F1 car !

hello guys,
i need please to ask something, while reading the regulations trying to figure out the geometry of the roll structure behing the driver so the regulations says, that the structure should be 940mm at least from the reference plane, and in the upper bodywork section 3.16 it says that the height of upper bodywork should be 925mm max ! so how is that possible if the limit is 925 and it says 940 for the roll structure ?!!

here are picture of the section

Jolle

Re: Question about roll structure of F1 car !

Indeed strangly contradicting rules...

Could the "lost" 1,5 cm be, what looks like, the spacer between the air intake and the camera mount?

When they used to test without the cameras you could see a small (+/- 15 mm) hump on top of the roll hoop

firasf1dream

Jolle wrote:Indeed strangly contradicting rules...

Could the "lost" 1,5 cm be, what looks like, the spacer between the air intake and the camera mount?

When they used to test without the cameras you could see a small (+/- 15 mm) hump on top of the roll hoop
you are totally right ! i though about it ! but
the rules say no body work more than 950mm !
except if the bodywork means only aerodynamics devices and all what is involved in that !

but for my application if it's what you said then i don't need that because there will be no human part involved in my car so no need for that safety but i was just taking the shape part of it

Blanchimont

No contradiction here. The 925mm dimension of 3.16.1 is not a maximum height dimension, it is simply mandatory to have bodywork(airbox and engine cover) there!

"when viewed from the side, the car must have bodywork in the area bounded by four lines"

The next article 3.16.2 states that bodywork is allowed above.

"Bodywork lying vertically above the upper boundary as defined in 3.16.1 may be no wider than 125mm and must be arranged symmetrically about the car centre line."
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

firasf1dream

Blanchimont wrote:No contradiction here. The 925mm dimension of 3.16.1 is not a maximum height dimension, it is simply mandatory to have bodywork(airbox and engine cover) there!

"when viewed from the side, the car must have bodywork in the area bounded by four lines"

The next article 3.16.2 states that bodywork is allowed above.

"Bodywork lying vertically above the upper boundary as defined in 3.16.1 may be no wider than 125mm and must be arranged symmetrically about the car centre line."
ok thanks i don't know how I didn't get the meaning of that one :|