Endplate Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ArgyrisB

Endplate Design

Hi guys, i'd like to ask why endplates over the past few years have this hemispherical shape? What's its purpose?

Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Endplate Design

ArgyrisB wrote:Hi guys, i'd like to ask why endplates over the past few years have this hemispherical shape? What's its purpose?

http://i61.tinypic.com/15mjvvd.jpg
The foot plate has to meet minimum surface dimensions. The curved, half tunneled foot plate you're speaking of helps create a vortex that helps seal the pressure difference above & below the wing. It also helps divert air around the front tyre as the vortex it forms spins clockwise. Anyone feel free to correct any of my post if wrong.

ArgyrisB

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
ArgyrisB wrote:Hi guys, i'd like to ask why endplates over the past few years have this hemispherical shape? What's its purpose?

http://i61.tinypic.com/15mjvvd.jpg
The foot plate has to meet minimum surface dimensions. The curved, half tunneled foot plate you're speaking of helps create a vortex that helps seal the pressure difference above & below the wing. It also helps divert air around the front tyre as the vortex it forms spins clockwise. Anyone feel free to correct any of my post if wrong.
Thanks for your reply!

The clockwise spin is for the right side i presume because the high pressure above tends to go under the footplate, am i right?
and how that spin helps air divert around the tyre? i understand that if the direction of the vortex is around the tire the air would follow but it seems to me that the vortex is heading straight to the tyre.

wesley123

I believe it's sole purpose is to create a "tunnel" and to create a seal for the front wing. I believe it helps reduce sensitivity of the wing.

I don't think it is to help aid air around the tire, mainly because pre-2009 wings utilized the same shape.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Crucial_Xtreme

wesley123 wrote:I believe it's sole purpose is to create a "tunnel" and to create a seal for the front wing. I believe it helps reduce sensitivity of the wing.

I don't think it is to help aid air around the tire, mainly because pre-2009 wings utilized the same shape.
I asked Scarbs & Aero A about the outwash. Here is the reply.

trinidefender

They generate a vortex that flows outside the front wheels. However they have the unique characteristic in that the vortex will grow in size and strength rapidly as yaw is added to to the car.

This increase in strength of the vortex has a few effects.
1. It helps seal the space between the front wing and the ground during cornering when the most front wing downforce is needed. This helps to stop higher pressure air from flowing from the outside of the endplates to underneath the wing and reducing the pressure differential and hence downforce.

2. It places a vortex that goes around the front tyre and when in yaw the outside front tyre turns inside and the vortex gets stronger. This means that the vortex can go straight backwards and still be on the outside of the tyre as a result of the tyre being turned inward. This helps to control tyre wake especially during the critical phase of a turn when tyre wake can have detrimental effect to any aerodynamic devices behind it (sidepod turning vanes, the rear wing, rear coke bottle area and most crucially the lip of the floor which is crucial for sealing the floor and helping it to generate downforce).

3rd I do believe it may help with the out wash to get the airflow around the outside of the front tyre.

MadMatt

Interesting explaination. It would be so great to have a nice CFD streamline animation of that process, oh well. :D

If anybody got a nice detailed front wing I could perform a quick CFD simulation and post results here? I just need a CAD model.

MadMatt

Thanks Andy, I will take a look and see if I can throw in some CFD analysis while I'm not using the computer! :)

ArgyrisB

MadMatt wrote:Interesting explaination. It would be so great to have a nice CFD streamline animation of that process, oh well. :D

If anybody got a nice detailed front wing I could perform a quick CFD simulation and post results here? I just need a CAD model.
A Cfd simulation would be great! I found a great site on twitter https://twitter.com/momentumCFD , it has some interesting videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRdcTA_C3JY about this subject.

trinidefender

ArgyrisB wrote:
MadMatt wrote:Interesting explaination. It would be so great to have a nice CFD streamline animation of that process, oh well. :D

A Cfd simulation would be great! I found a great site on twitter https://twitter.com/momentumCFD , it has some interesting videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRdcTA_C3JY about this subject.
Are you seriously going to say you found that website after I just posted it in a different thread I started the very day before? Little unethical if you ask me. If you see somebody post a website and think it would be a good addition to a different thread then do them a favour and at least mention the person who posted it first.

ArgyrisB

trinidefender wrote:
ArgyrisB wrote:

Are you seriously going to say you found that website after I just posted it in a different thread I started the very day before? Little unethical if you ask me. If you see somebody post a website and think it would be a good addition to a different thread then do them a favour and at least mention the person who posted it first.
Sorry if i offended you in any way. I just wanted to share the video about the subject.

trinidefender

A down vote for expressing my opinion, nice people. I wasn't getting offended for my sake. I was simply stating that if somebody posts something then don't go on another post and say you found something. Have the courtesy to at least mention the person who first found/posted the information. It is the normal respectable thing to do.

ArgyrisB

trinidefender wrote:A down vote for expressing my opinion, nice people. I wasn't getting offended for my sake. I was simply stating that if somebody posts something then don't go on another post and say you found something. Have the courtesy to at least mention the person who first found/posted the information. It is the normal respectable thing to do.
I shouldn't use the word " i found" and i am sorry for that, but i don't think that the point is who found first the site. Whatever i can recognise my fault and i apologise but my only purpose was to make a discussion about the video and the pics.