air-in-tire temperature

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ubrben

Re: air-in-tire temperature

Most tyre companies use dry air.

As piast9 has pointed out (as I did above) the adsorbed moisture in the tyre will dominate over the moisture content of the air unless you've got a really horrible source of inflation gas!

Ben

hardingfv32

Is moisture absorbed by the tire before or after mounting?

Brian

piast9

I think that much before. During the manufacturing, storage, shipping.

ubrben

hardingfv32 wrote:Is moisture absorbed by the tire before or after mounting?

Brian
As piast9 suggested, it's the whole process. This is why climate controlled storage is used extensively. Although not always in F1. Michelin had some impressive climate controlled trucks and they're now used for WEC.

Most series that have fly-away races will often just use shipping containers so a lot can get in this way.

As I said - hot purging is the best solution, but even then if the tyre is on a rack at the back of a pitbox and it rains, you're back to square one.

Ben

Belatti

DaveW wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:Consider that the air inside the tyre is a fixed volume of non moving air....
That is an assumption made by all. But why should it be the case? A tyre is not completely rigid and I guess its shape (hence enclosed volume) is likely to vary a little with a temperature.
The only racing tires manufactured in Argentina are not "radials", but cross ply and its shape vary A LOT, not only from tire to tire, but also when you change pressure.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

riff_raff

I don't understand how a rubber tire can absorb and retain significant amounts of moisture from the atmosphere. The rubber tire is processed at temperatures that would drive any moisture from the material. And if the cured rubber tire material was permeable enough to allow moisture to pass thru it, there is no way it would be able to contain a volume of compressed gas.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"