Aluminium Monocoque Construction Query

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
charlieb72
charlieb72

Aluminium Monocoque Construction Query

Hi, my name's Charlie and I'm an Automotive Engineering Undergraduate from the UK.

I'm interested in finding out about the construction of Aluminium Monocoque Tubs from the 60's and 70's.
I understand that sheet aluminium is folded, riveted and bonded in such a way that makes the structure rigid. However, what I'm unsure of is what's happening in the cross sectional areas of the riveted sections. I've looked at plenty of images of aluminium monocoques and I can see the outer skins. But I'm assuming the box sections are not just hollow shell like structures?

There seems to be very limited resources on this and I've just finished reading Costin's Racing and Sports Car Chassis design, but it predates the aluminium monocoque era except minor coverage of the lotus 25.

If anyone has any interesting pictures or info it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Tim.Wright

Re: Aluminium Monocoque Construction Query

Not sure if I completely understand the question, but if you take a section cut down the centreline of the car you would see "bulkheads" which are flat profiles which sit 90deg to the outer skin.

A good book in terms of aluminium honeycomb chassis construction is "how to build motorcycle engined racing cars" by Tony Pashley. A google search for airframe design would probably uncover some useful stuff since grand prix chassis design was heavily influenced by aeroplane design in this period.
Not the engineer at Force India

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Have you tried getting a copy of the Haynes manual for the McLaren M23? http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

I've certainly seen it in high street bookshops in the UK. Probably get it in a library too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

scarbs
scarbs

Yes the voids between the skins were were empty. Aside from things like fuel tanks.

charlieb72
charlieb72

Thanks for the responses everyone, I will check out the books mentioned!