Pirelli 2015

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Cold Fussion

Re: Pirelli 2015

What was the point of their investigation if it concludes external factors were involved and then imposes additional restrictions on tyre usage?

Thunder

The Thing is i read that Pirelli statement as "we have no clue what caused the damage but as always it wasn't our fault." And just to be sure that the inner Tire shoulder is bulletproof (or whatever that is in Pirelli Terms) they now force the Teams to use settings that put as less Load on the Inner Shoulder as Possible and hope all goes well (ie no other Part of the Tire fails). Let's see what this Weekend brings....

Drivers and Engineers don't seem too excited. ^^

Edit: And we're down to 21 PSI at the Front and 19,5 for the Rears before FP1 even started. Like Headless Chickens. :roll: :roll:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bhall II

Autosport wrote:F1 drivers told to stop public criticism of Pirelli tyres

F1NAC

Pirelli again stating that they found more cuts this weekend. Are they after Spa trying to justify their tire failures

flmkane

Yeah, and a lot of the car's are visibly unbalanced this weekend. Psi changes did SOMETHING

mertol

Pirelli inventing new stupid rules instead of fixing their tires...
Is it so hard designing a tire that is fastest when inside its safe pressures?

i70q7m7ghw

So they said the failures in Spa were caused by external cuts... so they impose and enforce higher tyre pressures to do what... prevent external cuts? Oh they were trying to protect the inside shoulder? But didn't one of the failures in Spa start on the outside edge?

Jersey Tom

mertol wrote:Is it so hard designing a tire that is fastest when inside its safe pressures?
If it wasn't already obvious I'm not a fan of Pirelli... but to be fair, yes.. yes it is.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bdr529

F1: Tyre criticism forces bosses to reconsider policy
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34171917
Since Pirelli's entry into the sport in 2011, it has provided tyres with a deliberately limited life, with the intention of forcing drivers to make at least two pit stops in each race.
Ecclestone believes this is the right approach to keep the audience interested throughout a grand prix.
That's the problem, the only guy who likes the idea, is the guy in charge.

dans79

bdr529 wrote:F1: Tyre criticism forces bosses to reconsider policy
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34171917
Since Pirelli's entry into the sport in 2011, it has provided tyres with a deliberately limited life, with the intention of forcing drivers to make at least two pit stops in each race.
Ecclestone believes this is the right approach to keep the audience interested throughout a grand prix.
That's the problem, the only guy who likes the idea, is the guy in charge.
I think Hamilton, Vettel, & Alonso, Should really stick it to Bernie & Pirelli Much the same way Stewart & others did back in the late 60's & early 70's. None of them like Pirelli, and frankly the 3 of them together, could force change.
197 104 103 7

bhall II

grandprix.com wrote:Incumbent Pirelli has won the race to be F1's tyre supplier beyond 2016.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, Bernie Ecclestone appeared at the Sochi circuit on Sunday ahead of the Russian grand prix with Pirelli CEO Marco Tronchetti Provera.

On the grid, the F1 supremo shook hands with the Italian businessman and declared that a deal is done for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Pirelli had been in competition with French tyre manufacturer Michelin for the contract.

"We are going ahead," Tronchetti Provera confirmed to Italian broadcaster Sky. "We are doing good work, our products are exceptional and appreciated by all."

F1NAC

We are doing good work, our products are exceptional and appreciated by all
ehmrightehm.. :roll:

AnthonyG

It's stupid to think Michelin would make better tyres, when told, Michelin will make tyres that won't last long as well. And we'll hate them equally.

It's a conflicting interest, tyre manufacturers want a certain amount of laps, teams don't want this and run the tyres on the limit trying to make them last as long as possible. Of course it'll give loads more problems compared to when both tyre makers and teams try to make em last as long as possible.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

AnthonyG

If you want a certain amount of pitstops, best thing to do is share an incentive with teams to do pitstops. Just think about refueling, teams made pitstops because it made them faster and we liked it. (well most of us did)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

nanocustic

Well, if I'm not mistaken the popular opinion back then was about getting rid of the refuelling as it created "artificial racing".

I dunno, I think the philosophies from Michelin and Pirelli were very different, the first one wanting to do tires that are meant to be pushed to the limit so it encourages the driver, while Pirelli is forcing the mistakes with this controlled durability thing.
Meliora