Pirelli 2015

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Pirelli 2015

As i see it, and hear it as well, Michelin were after a total re-design of the sporting and technical regulations.

What Michelin were rumoured to be after is less tyres for the weekend, just 7 sets with a single weekend and one set being a Quali Tyre that was 2 seconds quicker than anything else. Also they were told by the Sporting Working Group that they weren't going to be able to take 18" rims however a suitable alternative was found at 15.5" as teams still wanted some suspension in the tyre wall, and 15.5" is close to the average in 16" that is on road cars.

Personally, they were close to what i was after in:

* 16' Rims
* 300mm width front and 400mm Rear (Pirelli have agreed on this for 2017)
* 3 compounds per season Hard/Medium/Soft and a Quali compound.
* Medium goes to all races, then Hard and Soft are chosen for track severity
* Quali tyre is given to the driver only in quail (Id like two sets per weekend, one set to be given to each driver for last 10 mins of FP3)
* Drivers would have either 3 or 4 sets of mediums depending on track severity.
* Two sets of each taken away after FP3.
* Tyre Blankets would be finally banned, with pressures and cambers being measured on a static car in order to stop ambitious rules and crap like post Monza.
* Banning of Tyre pressure and temperature sensors on the cars, meaning its the driver who is in full control. Only a Puncture sensor would be allowed for safety reasons.
* Return of Stickers to denote a new set of tyres is being used.

Basically Michelin were after showcasing their technology and making the sport intact again on a branding stand point.

Pirelli need to make somehow grippier more consistent rubber for 2017 with good degradation that will make even Sochi a 2 stopper, in other words make their option at each event to be able to do 30% of the race distance. Impossible i know, but if they get it 90% right, ill be happy. Even if Monza and maybe one or two other races are single stop races. Two to three stop is my ideal with one or two single stop and maybe a anomaly 4 stop race once a year.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

ESPImperium wrote: * Tyre Blankets would be finally banned, with pressures and cambers being measured on a static car in order to stop ambitious rules and crap like post Monza.
* Banning of Tyre pressure and temperature sensors on the cars, meaning its the driver who is in full control. Only a Puncture sensor would be allowed for safety reasons.
What is the point of this? How does forcing people to drive on cold tyres for a couple of laps improve the racing, how does banning tyre pressure and temperature sensors mean the driver is in 'full control'? With all the anti technology sentiment surrounding F1 currently you would think the sports primary viewership is the unibomber.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Because it's detracts from the advantage a good driver has for the feel and feedback from the tyres, by just giving the team a readout instead.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

It's still up to the driver utilise that information effectively.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Well, no, it takes it away from the driver and into the hands of a few dozen people and computers in the team. Instead of a driver working out whether the lack of grip is because they've got the tyres a little hot or a little cold or whether it's just a lack of overall grip, or another reason, someone comes on over the radio and goes 'tyres are too cold'....

F1NAC

Dunno if anyone posted yet, but Pirelli plans to introduce ultrasoft tire for 2016 with SS, softs, med, hards and wet tires. They launched somekind of pool on twitter between purple and silver tire markings.
https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 2427025409 https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 8872291329

mikeerfol

Oh come on, not silver again..

turbof1

The silver will be very difficult to distinguish from the current white-striped medium tyre. Purple seems the obvious choice.
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

I'm rather partial to blue, myself...

mikeerfol

Full wets are blue :P

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Right so the US will be purple and tested after Abu Dhabi in addition to a new overall construction type, as I'm sure most you have read.

Want to ask a question about something Hembry said, though, in response to Hamilton, "I think they should make special tyres for this race [Mexico] because we need more grip."
AUTOSPORT wrote:"It's always very hard when you come to a new circuit as you're never sure how the surface will react during first running and this literally was the first race on it," Hembery told Autosport.

"If you look back to Austin the first year, it was very smooth, similar to this.

"But Austin has been used heavily in the last few years and has changed dramatically.

"Sochi is very similar but it hasn't been used a lot so remained a very slippery surface.

"Probably next year you would have the super-soft in Mexico if you're going to have three anyway.

"But the chances of doing a special one are unlikely."

Three what, exactly?

arahman_93
arahman_93

BanMeToo wrote:Right so the US will be purple and tested after Abu Dhabi in addition to a new overall construction type, as I'm sure most you have read.

Want to ask a question about something Hembry said, though, in response to Hamilton, "I think they should make special tyres for this race [Mexico] because we need more grip."
AUTOSPORT wrote:"It's always very hard when you come to a new circuit as you're never sure how the surface will react during first running and this literally was the first race on it," Hembery told Autosport.

"If you look back to Austin the first year, it was very smooth, similar to this.

"But Austin has been used heavily in the last few years and has changed dramatically.

"Sochi is very similar but it hasn't been used a lot so remained a very slippery surface.

"Probably next year you would have the super-soft in Mexico if you're going to have three anyway.

"But the chances of doing a special one are unlikely."

Three what, exactly?
(3 compounds e.g soft, meduim, hard whereas now only two compounds for each race)
thats if its done or not (rumours of 2 tyres picked by pirelli then teams pick another compound to spice up the circus :lol: i mean racing. Or something like that anyways.