Design process

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
lncube93

Design process

Hi, I'm an engineering student, in my 3rd year

I've got a side project which involves making a monocoque for a race car. The car already has a space frame chassis from the year before and I would like to change it to a monocoque type chassis. All the other parts of the car are already there like the suspension, engine etc. I know how a little bit about how monocoque is manufactured but I would like to know more about the design process. Is there any books you would recommend, tutorials, articles you would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

riff_raff

Re: Design process

A monocoque is just a structure where loads are transferred thru an outer skin. Do you want to use a metal or composite monocoque chassis structure?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

xxChrisxx

From an engineering perspective. The first question that should be answered is.

Why change the chassis at all?

sgth0mas

lncube93 wrote:Hi, I'm an engineering student, in my 3rd year

I've got a side project which involves making a monocoque for a race car. The car already has a space frame chassis from the year before and I would like to change it to a monocoque type chassis. All the other parts of the car are already there like the suspension, engine etc. I know how a little bit about how monocoque is manufactured but I would like to know more about the design process. Is there any books you would recommend, tutorials, articles you would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
When you say design process, would you like a high level design process for mechanical design engineering or more specific to only monocoques?