2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
turbof1

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

zac510 wrote:The problem is air of course, it's far too dense. We should run the race in an enormous vacuum dome, then we won't have any problems with that pesky air causing drag.
Neither would we have downforce then or any means to cool the engines, or actually making combustion happen.
#AeroFrodo

PhillipM

It's okay, we'll go electric and the drivers can hold their breath.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:It's okay, we'll go electric and the drivers can hold their breath.
And who needs downforce when you have magnets.
Saishū kōnā

krisfx

Blackout wrote:RW endplate shape is rather complex for a temporary 2017 RW that is attached to a 2015 diffuser... why didnt they just use this simpler kind of design?
Is the ferrari design more neutral on an f1 car? or does it generate more DF? or is that the final design the strategic group opted for? does it aim to alter the shape and position of the 2017 cars wake?

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/14/79/55/26/wsr-je10.jpg
It's just a temporary solution to avoid the rear tyres. Don't look too much into it (like everyone else seems to be!)

timbo

I wonder just how faster new cars might be. 2016 cars are already plenty fast in qualy and with those massive tyres and bigger wings and diffuser we might look at several seconds improvement. It may also appear that the drivetrain is just underpowered for the amount of grip.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

flickerf1

timbo wrote:I wonder just how faster new cars might be. 2016 cars are already plenty fast in qualy and with those massive tyres and bigger wings and diffuser we might look at several seconds improvement. It may also appear that the drivetrain is just underpowered for the amount of grip.
Sub 2004 lap times and lap records in races should happen. Also, general question: Will the bigger tires and subsequent increase in mechanical grip be able to offset the dirty air from the car ahead.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Moose

timbo wrote:I wonder just how faster new cars might be. 2016 cars are already plenty fast in qualy and with those massive tyres and bigger wings and diffuser we might look at several seconds improvement. It may also appear that the drivetrain is just underpowered for the amount of grip.
I very much doubt the drivetrain is underpowered. Or rather, I very much doubt it's under torqued. Top speeds might suffer significantly, but I fully expect corner entry, exit, and early straight speeds to be *much much much* higher.

The current cars have *way* too much torque for their own good.

timbo

Moose wrote:
I very much doubt the drivetrain is underpowered. Or rather, I very much doubt it's under torqued. Top speeds might suffer significantly, but I fully expect corner entry, exit, and early straight speeds to be *much much much* higher.

I asked as I think power/grip ration being a bit skewed on the side of power (and yeah, maybe it's torque which is most important) is important for racing as IMO it opens up the window of "usable" trajectories. A driver trying to make a pass or get closer (if it has some speed advantage) can make later entry and get a better exit easier if the cars have lower grip (again that's my impression and I might be mistaken). With higher grip and same power/torque it's more important to get corner just right IMO (of course it's always right but I'm talking the situation when one car is trying to make a pass and has some pace advantage ).

Juzh

timbo wrote:I wonder just how faster new cars might be. 2016 cars are already plenty fast in qualy and with those massive tyres and bigger wings and diffuser we might look at several seconds improvement.
"Only" several seconds? More like 5-6.

OrangeArrows

Juzh wrote:
timbo wrote:I wonder just how faster new cars might be. 2016 cars are already plenty fast in qualy and with those massive tyres and bigger wings and diffuser we might look at several seconds improvement.
"Only" several seconds? More like 5-6.
2017 Monaco pole under the 1:10 seconds. Maybe to fast?

Andres125sx

WTF? :wtf:

Any idea what are they doing with skirts?

Maybe just trying to simulate the increased DF provided by bigger diffusers of next season?

godlameroso

No beam wing and standard diffuser, so yes it's to simulate downforce, wonder if they ran the front wing on full attack. The cars will have more drag but I still think they'll be able to do 310-320kmh down Barcelona's main straight without DRS.

What we will see is probably different aero kits instead of the slightly modified one size fits all kits.
Saishū kōnā

SameSame

Moose wrote:

Wonder what impact this might have on the gearboxes next year? They will be experiencing significantly more torque for much longer periods of time.

Juzh

SameSame wrote:
Moose wrote:

Wonder what impact this might have on the gearboxes next year? They will be experiencing significantly more torque for much longer periods of time.
Probably not much.