Tyre Safety Issue

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
trinidefender

Tyre Safety Issue

Watching the Mexico FP2 I noticed something that was apparent last year. I know others and myself had posted about it last season and probably seasons before. There is simply to large of a difference in operating window between the dry weather tyres and the intermediates. For the second half of FP2 when the track was damp. This created a situation where it was still to dry to really make use of the intermediates yet also to wet to make the slicks work.

Lap times from ALL teams went way up and drivers started sliding all over the place. I love to see a driver controlling oversteer and understeer as much as the next fan however this is different. Now we have a situation where the tyres are just unpredictably losing grip from both the slicks and the intermediates being out of their operating window.

I can see this being a large safety issue and, just like last year, hope Pirelli moves to close up the operating windows between the tyres.

trinidefender

Re: Tyre Safety Issue

Nobody? Ok well with all the talk of safety with runoff areas etc I thought this might get some attention. A bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned as a safety issue by teams at all (at least not that I've heard).

DaveW

"They're not great tyres. That's no secret," said Mercedes' Hamilton.
... proper progress in improving the wet tyres is limited by Pirelli having limited ability to do any proper wet weather testing.
Pirelli wets & inters have been discussed here, here and predictably here.

Cold Fussion

What would the solution be? Would you gear the intermediate tyre with much worse wet weather performance for greater dry performance? An intermediate tyre like the old bridgestone ones that turned into a slow slick tyre as it wore down doesn't seem to fit with the perlli tyre philosophy.

mertol

Their dry tires are bad too so it's kinda expected. Pirelli seem incompetent in general.