Weight of tyre

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PaulHansen

Weight of tyre

Hi guys.

How much does a single Pirelli tyre weigh with correct pressure?

//Paul

riff_raff

Re: Weight of tyre

How would the gas used to inflate the tire affect the tire's mass?

F1 tires are amazingly light weight compared to road car tires.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

riff_raff wrote:How would the gas used to inflate the tire affect the tire's mass?
Are you kidding me...? Year 8 chemistry/thermo?

Oversimplifying things:
Air has mass... the more air you put into the tyre (because it is a closed system) the heavier the whole system gets. The pressure is based on a few different things, one of which is the amount of air inside the tyre.
PaulHansen wrote:Hi guys.

How much does a single Pirelli tyre weigh with correct pressure?

//Paul
In all honesty mate, I would say that if you're looking for an exact value, you wont find it... I would imagine Pirelli keeps all those specs under tight lock and key.

I did, however, happen to come across this blog post where in the fun facts section at the end, they say that in 2011, the weight of a front wheel with tyre was about 8.5kg whilst the rear wheel with tyre was about 9.5kg.

Wheels are different now, but I would hazard a guess they would be somewhat similar.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Facts Only

I dont know the weights but there is a way you could find out very roughly.

The regs say the following:

■Front wheels must be between 305 and 355mm wide, the rears between 365 and 380mm.
■With tyres fitted the wheels must be no more than 660mm in diameter (670mm with wet-weather tyres).

If you look for a supplier of slick tyres like Avon the closest two sizes (from the linked chart below) are:

350/660R13 & 370/660R13

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorspor ... dial-slick

Now just give them a call and ask them how much those two sizes weigh. It wont be identical but it will be pretty close I bet.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

PaulHansen

I'm just curious to see how much weight the mechanics are lifting when they put on a tyre at pitstops.

zztopless

PaulHansen wrote:I'm just curious to see how much weight the mechanics are lifting when they put on a tyre at pitstops.
So then you'd want to know the combined weight of the wheel and the tyre then?

I don't know why but ~ 20kg rings a bell? I know they are heavy enough to cause serious injury if they make a bid for freedom (the Hungary 2010 pit incident springs to mind).

Tim.Wright

The wheel + tyre together is really light. You can easily lift it above your head with one hand. The weights posted by Mr Facts seem about right to me.

20kg is too high. If I rememebr correct, our FSAE 13" wheels + tyres were 20kg per corner (10 years ago) with 10kg from the tyre and 10kg from the clunky cast aluminium Formula Ford wheels.
Not the engineer at Force India

PhillipM

zztopless wrote: I don't know why but ~ 20kg rings a bell? I know they are heavy enough to cause serious injury if they make a bid for freedom (the Hungary 2010 pit incident springs to mind).

That's way too heavy, normal car wheel/tyre territory there, the front OZ wheels a couple of years ago before the retained nut systems were ~3.6kg front and ~4kg for the rears, don't know for the others I'm afraid - I can only do a best guess on the tyre weight but 3/4 kg front/rear wouldn't be too far away given the sizes.

riff_raff

Vyssion wrote:Are you kidding me...? Year 8 chemistry/thermo?
I'm not kidding you. 4th grade reading comprehension?

"........How would the gas used to inflate the tire affect the tire's mass?"

The gas used to inflate the tire does indeed have mass, and it adds to the total mass of the wheel/tire assembly, but it has no measurable effect on the mass of the tire itself.

Greg Locock

Well, inflating the tire increases the strain energy in the sidewalls, and as we know E=m*c^2 so it will increase the mass of the tire slightly. Very very very very slightly.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

riff_raff wrote: I'm not kidding you. 4th grade reading comprehension?

"........How would the gas used to inflate the tire affect the tire's mass?"
Okay, since you are obviously looking to be difficult, I will allow you 4th grade reading comprehension then for assuming the literal interpretation of what was said... But you seem to lack the cognitive ability to realize that if he is asking about a tyre with an associated pressure, then its pretty safe to say that he wants the mass of the "wheel".
PaulHansen wrote:I'm just curious to see how much weight the mechanics are lifting when they put on a tyre at pitstops.
Should say "wheel" here technically... But we all know what you mean mate. So I revert to my previous post:
Vyssion wrote: I did, however, happen to come across this blog post where in the fun facts section at the end, they say that in 2011, the weight of a front wheel with tyre was about 8.5kg whilst the rear wheel with tyre was about 9.5kg.

Wheels are different now, but I would hazard a guess they would be somewhat similar.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

misterbeam

11.5 kg for rear tyre without rim would be my guess ...

riff_raff

Vyssion wrote:Okay, since you are obviously looking to be difficult........
I had absolutely no intention of being difficult with my first response to the OP. The OP asked a very specific question, "How much does a single Pirelli tyre weigh with correct pressure?". It did not say anything about the associated wheel, and mentioned the tire must have correct (inflation?) pressure. The questioned did not seem to make sense to me, and I simply pointed this out in my reply.

The response from the OP that I would have expected would be a clarification of the inquiry, such as "What is the weight of a single Pirelli F1 front race tire when new?"

silverBolt

Our last year FS 13' slicks with aluminium OZ wighed close to 8.5Kgs,
F1 has bigger tires different carcass material and magnesium rims so should come pretty close to 9kgs

riff_raff

I have an old used Goodyear F1 rear tire from back in the late 80s sitting in storage. The tread and sidewalls are incredibly thin, and I don't think it weighs more than 3 or 4 kg.