2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Pierce89

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

f1316 wrote:(NB: changing the subject to Monaco because of below article)

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-s- ... 82041/?s=1

"The soft and the supersoft are the mandatory tyres that must be used at some point during the race."

So:

i) if you use the ultra in Q2 you have to do a 2 stop race to ensure you use the mandatory tyres

ii) if you don't, you're definitely going to do a one stop - they've been doing so on s/ss for the last 5 years, after all

So much for the refuelling ban meaning non-deterministic strategies. This whole race will be completely nailed on after qualifying.
They only have to use one of the nominated race sets, so they can still do a one stopper if they start on US
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

f1316

Ah ok, gotcha, thanks :)

I hadn't previously thought they had to use both types but the article is a bit misleadingly worded.

wuzak

f1316 wrote:Ah ok, gotcha, thanks :)

I hadn't previously thought they had to use both types but the article is a bit misleadingly worded.
They have to use 2 different compounds of tyre during the race, only one of which has to be the mandatory compound.

Going into qualifying for Monaco they will have 6 sets of tyres for use during qualifying and the race. An extra set of the softest tyre will be available to those who go to Q3 (the remaining get this extra set available for the race).

Their 6 sets will likely be 4 sets of U/S, 1 set of S/S (mandatory) and 1 set of S (mandatory) if they intend on having a 1 stop race.

Or 3 U/S, 2 S/S and 1 S for a 2 stop race.

If qualifying has reverted back to 2015 rules by then, there will be plenty of U/S for top teams to use them all through qualifying.

Straggler

The tires rules this year state that every pilot must always return 6 of his initial 13 dry-weather compounds before the start of the qualifying.

I want to know is there any way to track exactly which dry-weather compounds are returned by each driver after each session? I think that this information is crucial for a way better understanding of each driver's strategy for the race but I can't find such tire tracker info anywhere on the internet.

On the FIA F1's Event & Timing Information page there's a ton of info about almost everything, even about each driver's Power Unit elements used, but even there I can't see any info about the 2 mandatory dry-weather compounds returned after each FP session. :(

For example in Australia Ferrari chose to return 1 Medium, 4 Soft and 1 Supersoft compounds before the start of the qualifying. Mercedes on the other hand chose different strategy by returning 4 Soft and 2 Supersoft compounds, leaving them with 1 more brand new Soft and 1 less brand new Supersoft for the race . I somehow luckily found out about this difference between the team's strategies by watching Sky Sport F1's Ted's Notebook, where he explained it. But he only did it for these 2 teams and I'm not sure that he will do it ever again even for them. So I think that there's gotta be some tracker somewhere that he gets this info from. But I'm not sure is it from public info that anyone of us can see too or it is some own Sky Sport statistic that they make only for themselves.

nevill3

The teams would be foolish to hand back unused tyres so the tyres they use in the practice sessions will generally be the ones that get handed back. Australia was different because of the wet sessions.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Straggler

nevill3 wrote:The teams would be foolish to hand back unused tyres so the tyres they use in the practice sessions will generally be the ones that get handed back. Australia was different because of the wet sessions.
I completely understand your logic, but what if all the FP sessions are wet and then the qualifying and the race are all dry (almost like in Australia 2 weeks ago)? The drivers must still return 6 compounds of dry-weather tires before the start of the qualifying. But none will be able to figure out by your logic which specific compounds will be returned. The only way to find out about each driver compound choices in this case is some kind of summarized info.

nevill3

You can work out some of the tyres that will be kept in that case, one set of each mandated race spec must be kept as well as a set of the softest compound must be kept for Q3 ( even if the team know they will not be reaching Q3) Also Q2 normally sees at least one run on the softest/fastest tyre which would be needed to start the race on if they get through.

The rules are so complicated so that unless you can find a published list you are correct in that finding out which tyres have been handed back is impossible to predict especially if a session has been wet. Finding such a list has now become a goal of mine.......watch this space.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

hemichromis

I think the new 3 tire rule is a pretty big reason for the more exciting races this season.
Grosjean using the SS briliantly
but unlike Australia, the Medium seemed to be a bit useless.

seezung

Tire choices for China

WaikeCU

Question:

I was wondering... People within the sport are complaining that they need to reduce costs in F1. Wouldn't it be better if there was just one single compound in the future of F1? So you either have Slicks, Intermediates or Wets. Making the slicks work would be simplified for each team. Nowadays teams have to create a car that is competitive on 5 different compounds (intermediate and wets not included). Wouldn't it be better to just focus on 1 single compound and optimize performance on that tire? It would save Pirelli, F1 and the teams a lot of costs I think. I also would think different tire manufacturers would also be tempted to enter the sport, because of the simplicity of not having to produce so much different compounds.

What do you guys think about it? Would it work?

3jawchuck

WaikeCU wrote:Question:

I was wondering... People within the sport are complaining that they need to reduce costs in F1. Wouldn't it be better if there was just one single compound in the future of F1? So you either have Slicks, Intermediates or Wets. Making the slicks work would be simplified for each team. Nowadays teams have to create a car that is competitive on 5 different compounds (intermediate and wets not included). Wouldn't it be better to just focus on 1 single compound and optimize performance on that tire? It would save Pirelli, F1 and the teams a lot of costs I think. I also would think different tire manufacturers would also be tempted to enter the sport, because of the simplicity of not having to produce so much different compounds.

What do you guys think about it? Would it work?
Well, the problem with that is that the tyre would have to be designed to reasonably cope with the highest wearing circuits encountered in the calendar so the circuits with low wear characteristics would be slow no stop races. There would also be little tyre mystery or challenge, the tyre would be known by all and understood well enough to cover most surprises that would normally pop up in a weekend.

Vortex Motio

WaikeCU wrote:Question:... People within the sport are complaining that they need to reduce costs in F1. Wouldn't it be better if there was just one single compound in the future of F1?
... Wouldn't it be better to just focus on 1 single compound and optimize performance on that tire? It would save Pirelli, F1 and the teams a lot of costs I think...
Saving money for:
F1 - Currently, F1 ships 13 sets of slicks for each car to the track, which consists of 6 sets of practice slicks, & 7 sets for qualifying and race. If there was a single compound, it would likely be more durable to withstand the heat of Sepang, the high speeds of Monza, and other corner tests of durability on the calendar of circuits visited. Currently, Pirelli's goal is 2 to 3 pit-stops per race. But with single compound, we can suppose that requirement would be dropped, and it's possible that the number sets required per weekend would be dropped.

Let's say F1 ships only 1 set per practice session instead of 2 sets, that saves 3 sets of tires per car per weekend. We're saving shipping costs by reducing tire shipments from 286 sets of tires (13 sets x 22 cars) to 220 sets of tires. That saves the shipping costs for 66 sets of tires, which is 23% savings in tire shipping costs alone. The real question is how many € are being saved in shipping costs?

And who realizes those shipping costs? Are tire shipping costs passed directly to each team, or are they absorbed by FOM as part of their expenses? If the former, it a positive since teams budgets are being squeezed in general. If the latter then it affects Delta Topco's profit margins to likely a very small degree.

F1 Teams - What percentage of budget are teams spending to accommodate and tune for 5 slick compounds, and how much money, if any, can be saved by teams if they need only accommodate and tune for a single slick compound?

We know that (at least the large) teams have tire modeling, and the expense there may be hiring engineers with experience of doing that, as seen by a recent Williams team job posting. The key would be how much would that expense change if there was a single slick compound that needed to be tuned for all circuits on the calendar and all potential ambient and track temps to be encountered?

Pirelli - A single compound may save money, not only in engineering and R&D, but also in logistics and administration costs. I believe their expenses are shared between themselves, the teams, and FOM, but I may be wrong.

As we saw from Williams fiscal report on 2014, the new engine regs were a large expense for teams. At the same time, the overall trend in TV ratings hurts teams abilities to gain higher sponsorship revenue to off-set those costs. Combined with the inequity of FOM's distribution of money to teams, the bottom half of the grid suffers a particularly difficult budget pinch from those three factors (1-engine expense, 2-reduced sponsorship money, 3-inequity of FOM money dist). It is in that context that one would want to measure how much real money would smaller teams save with a single slick tire compound, and would it be worth the political effort to implement it.

godlameroso

It's likely to be hotter in Montreal than it has been at any other race this year. The Soft tire may actually be a good race tire, particularly since Canada places a big emphasis or rear tire wear. The softs like heat.
Saishū kōnā

Silent Storm

I remember last year the super soft tyres were not working in the race or was it only for Ferrari?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…