2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DiogoBrand

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

If there's one thing you can be sure is that Pirelli Formula One tyres will not be durable.

giantfan10

DiogoBrand wrote:If there's one thing you can be sure is that Pirelli Formula One tyres will not be durable.
That is reason #600 why Pirelli are stuck between a rock and a hard place...
Formula 1 asked Pirelli to produce tires with high degredation that would fall of a cliff.. not the other way around so how did Pirelli become the villian??

Jolle

giantfan10 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:If there's one thing you can be sure is that Pirelli Formula One tyres will not be durable.
Formula 1 asked Pirelli to produce tires with high degredation that would fall of a cliff.. not the other way around so how did Pirelli become the villian??
Yes! And so far, it looks like the tires are pretty consistent, the most important thing with a single mandatory supplier.

Part of me wants a new tire war, the lap times, speed and different strategies would be wonderful. But the other part thinks, no team wants to be stuck with the second fastest tire contract after investing millions...

godlameroso

I'm not so sure about the tires not being durable, a larger more massive tire given similar construction can probably deal with more heat, and is generally tougher because of the increased mass. Although this is Pirelli, it'll be annoying to have such a large rear tire that still disintegrates itself at the mere hint of slip.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

giantfan10 wrote:
I never said it was Pirelli's choice, but the fact remains that Pirelli's tyres aren't durable.
It's better for all of us if you only read what I've actually written.

strad

If the tires were made by any other manufacturer they would still degrade the same as that is what the big brains mandated.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

How is this going to play out next year if the tires can last the whole race, do you still do two compound rule? Do you only bring one compound for the weekend ? Are we going to have the same as this year as far as tire choices?
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

I wish that the tyre contact in F1 simply provided identical molds to each team to make their own tyres. I know that costs will be involved, but we will never see cars on the absolute limit without a fully integrated design. You could also have a engine/tyre purchase contract together for teams that won't invest in those departments directly.

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:How is this going to play out next year if the tires can last the whole race, do you still do two compound rule? Do you only bring one compound for the weekend ? Are we going to have the same as this year as far as tire choices?
They won't last the whole race - well, for most races.

The aim is to have the performance drop off with wear and not have thermal degradation.

wuzak

DiogoBrand wrote:I'm curious to what shape the cars will take with the increased width. With the 20cm increase in body width, will they go for even more pronounced sidepod undercuts, lower and wider sidepods, or will the sidepods shape remain pretty much the same with just a wider floor around it.
The body width is to remain the same, as far as I understand.

The floor will increase by 20cm, as will the overall width, but not the body.

mclaren111

Correct:
The sidepods will feature an angled leading edge, as mooted from the start of the new regulation discussions. These will be inclined at 15 degrees when viewed from above, which shouldn’t cost the teams too much performance – this is merely an aesthetic adjustment.

Despite the increase in width to both the car as a whole and the floor, the bodywork must not exceed 1400mm from the car centreline which is the same as 2016. This will create a streamlined look to the car that will contrast the wider stance which could look quite intriguing.

ChrisDanger

New article on formula1.com today about next year's compounds:
Paul Hembery wrote:We will have much less degradation in 2017 and tyres will have a wider operating window.
Full article.

godlameroso

How is this going to play out next year if the tires can last the whole race, do you still do two compound rule? Do you only bring one compound for the weekend ? Are we going to have the same as this year as far as tire choices?
Saishū kōnā

BanMeToo

I bet they will keep the 2 compound race rule. Not so sure about 3 compounds, or if they'll keep doing 5 dry compounds... maybe not.

DiogoBrand

godlameroso wrote:
They probably will last pretty much the same as they do right now.