Help with track car desing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
AlvarP
AlvarP

Re: Help with track car desing

Jersey Tom wrote:
AlvarP wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:How do you know the numbers you're getting from this are at all accurate and not just nonsense?
They use the same software in formula sae and there are couple of articles that tell that solid works is abot 95% accurate in aerodynamics.
Formula SAE students don't necessarily have the best grasp on what they're doing.

Source: Former student.

Beyond that, "95% accurate in aerodynamics" doesn't mean anything. How could you even quantify that? All simulation tools have strengths and weaknesses, things they're good for or not. You need to know whether what you're trying to achieve is in the "95%" of what a tool does well, or in the 5% that's junk (or whatever that proportion really is).
I saw this one article where they did wind tunnel testing for 3d printed model that they designed and simulated in solidworks and wind tunnel and solidworks downforce had 5% difference i'm not saying that SW is perfect for testing and there are probably better software out there that are dedicated for fluid simulation but at least it gives you an estimate that what the models lift or drag is.

bhall II
bhall II

Re: Help with track car desing

A few thoughts...

If the idea behind the high nose is to increase underbody efficiency, both the high AoA and full-width span of the front wing are very much working against you.

You can reduce lift and/or drag by...
  • adding louvers to the top of each fender to bleed pressure from the wheel wells
  • reprofiling topside bodywork such that everything is as straight, level, and symmetrical as possible to minimize the impact of adverse pressure gradients
  • using large radii to delay separation wherever edges can't be avoided
  • rounding the inside corners of the radiator inlets to reduce interference drag
  • I just want this list to have five bullet points
Relocating the rear wing to a position in which its trailing edge is flush with that of the diffuser could increase the efficiency of both.

The tea tray should probably have a flat leading edge, not a rounded one, as it will be able to divert more air flow. (Frankly, it's a bit peculiar to run a tea tray if you're not also running a legality plank.)

My bio-CFD suggests the car's center of pressure will likely be quite a bit farther aft than you really want it to be.

The front to rear proportions could create issues with stiffness. (But, that's a matter to be discussed with the non-fluid guys.)

And that's about as far my brainstorming can go right now. Best of luck!