Gorud Clearance - When did they gave up enforcing?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
rjsa

Gorud Clearance - When did they gave up enforcing?

I've been searching t no avail: when did checking ground clearance ceased to be in F1?

langwadt

Re: Gorud Clearance - When did they gave up enforcing?

rjsa wrote:I've been searching t no avail: when did checking ground clearance ceased to be in F1?
the wooden plank was added in 1994, I expect that was the replacement for a minium clearance

Jolle

langwadt wrote:
rjsa wrote:I've been searching t no avail: when did checking ground clearance ceased to be in F1?
the wooden plank was added in 1994, I expect that was the replacement for a minium clearance
They did indeed, right the Senna accident, where at least one of the contributing factors was a stalling of the floor due to extreem low ride heights

FW17

If it was only the plank it would have been fine

but in 1995 they added the 50 mm step to floor

langwadt

Jolle wrote:
langwadt wrote:
They did indeed, right the Senna accident, where at least one of the contributing factors was a stalling of the floor due to extreem low ride heights
yes and the plank is a clever way to avoid that in away that can actually be enforced, there is just too many ways to cheat with a minimum ride height

ESPImperium

Ive always thought that the wear rate depth should have been increased over time in order to stop the rise of the rake in the past few years.

Jolle

ESPImperium wrote:Ive always thought that the wear rate depth should have been increased over time in order to stop the rise of the rake in the past few years.
That's got nothing to do with the wear levels, more that teams are allowed to move the mounting points around. So I think RedBull were the first to put almost all right at the frond, so there were 16 tungsten bolts touching the tarmac before the plank was worn down. These days those mounting bolts must be made of magnesium, which is not just nice and sparkling, but wears a lot faster.

PlatinumZealot

FW17 wrote:If it was only the plank it would have been fine

but in 1995 they added the 50 mm step to floor

this is the answer
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

scarbs

As far as I recall, ground clearance checks, were only ever enforced in 1981 (60mm) as a means to ban skirts on the ground effect cars. Almost immediately circumvented by teams with suspension that jacked up when in the pits to beat the test.

That rule was canned for 82.

Since then no actual ride height checks have been in place. Only the plank to prevent excessive grounding of the floor as already explained in other posts.