Diffuser: Effect of Upper Surface Quality & Rear Lip

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Re: Diffuser: Effect of Upper Surface Quality & Rear Lip

Facts Only wrote:Cheers Vyssion,

It will be in a low adverse pressure gradient area (the shallow angle under the rear axle), nothing like an M12, maybe some M5 button head bolts or rivets.

The whole thing is an exercise in Cost & Convenience vs Performance, how much can costs and time be reduced without notably affecting performance..
Rivets should be fine then mate... Button (? you mean allen-cap) heads for M5 should be small enough to not do much in a low APG region. Alternatively, you can use the countersunk allen heads that the bloke above me posted - however, they do not hold their preload as good as hex-bolts because of the 45° angle allowing for more slip coupled with the fact that because of that angle, there is just less "stuff/metal" to react the forces going through it and so will elongate a little easier than normal. In regions of high vibration (like on a race car) you may find that they undo themselves if not done up correctly. Bolts are kind of a black art really... It depends on the application and tradeoffs weighed you know? If you are using them with carbon, it may be useful to pre-crush the carbon before tightening them up so you dont find youself losing preload as the vibrations cause the carbon to fragment further under the bolt contact region.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Facts Only
Facts Only

I'm pretty good on my bolts and nuts, dealing with hard mounted engines means you get used to making stuff that doesn't vibrate loose.

By Button Head I mean these:

CSK's are the best answer for performance but again it comes down the cost and convenience, you have to countersink the holes (more manufacturing time/cost) and then if you are trying to unbolt a diffuser from under a car laid on the ground reaching under you can never find CSK's by feel which is a pain.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Facts Only wrote:I'm pretty good on my bolts and nuts, dealing with hard mounted engines means you get used to making stuff that doesn't vibrate loose.

By Button Head I mean these:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... swrADw.jpg

CSK's are the best answer for performance but again it comes down the cost and convenience, you have to countersink the holes (more manufacturing time/cost) and then if you are trying to unbolt a diffuser from under a car laid on the ground reaching under you can never find CSK's by feel which is a pain.
Ah perfect then!! :D

Yeah CSKs can be annoying to find without sight. But M5 button heads like the one you showed should be fine yeah. If you were really worried about them, you could get those little plastic cap things and stick them inside the allen hole, but tbh M5 is so small, Id be surprised if that added anything beyond "look how much thought I gave this!!" you know?
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

PhillipM
PhillipM

Dirt and general race muck will fill the hole nicely ;)