Red Bull RB13 nose: Regulatory means of legality

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
scarbs

Re: Red Bull RB13 nose legality

Its simple, no alarm bells here, other teams have looked at the idea independently, no one inc the FIA are the least bit concerned.

The shape forming the nose hole IS part of the crash structure. In this definition under 15.4.3A it is just the crash structure, we are looking at, not the fins ir sny added on bodywork. Therefore it meets the rules and wouks apoear similar to any other thumb nose as a bare component
Then the cross section of the nose to meet 3.7.5 (there is no 3.7.8 you mention, that's in the 2016 regs, this is the 2017 season, so I've attached a link to help you http://www.fia.com/file/53156/download/ ... n=qeLK-XRw ) is met by the fins, as they are aligned in a frontal plane to meet the single section rule (as per the Lotus snow plough, BAR rear wing and Force India vented nose).

PlatinumZealot

scarbs wrote:Its simple, no alarm bells here, other teams have looked at the idea independently, no one inc the FIA are the least bit concerned.
Alarm bells Mr. Scarbs? Not from me. Hah. No concerns of legality either.

For me, this thread was to examine the treatment of the nose that made it legal.
I already had my version of the answer before I started the thread and was not too satisifed with explanations across the web. Not enough meat. Not enough detail in the diagrams for a technical fan. There are a few technicalities to how you make the RB nose work. An example posted in this thread was actually illegal,why? because he did not take care to space the "V" partitions properly.

For me on the crash structure ruling. It is tricky. For example, what force india did was to sandwich their rather generic cone shaped crash structure between the nostrils. The nostrils had no interference with it.
For the Lotus, it seem you guys are not talking about the nose but actually talking about the turning vanes underneath the nose... Yeah. No great interest there because it is not really a hole in the nose, it more served as turning vanes under it. I don't think the function is the same though. And again this was doing with article 3.75. That lotus grille is not part of the crash structure.

So Force India nostrils and Lotus turning vanes. Not part of the crash structure. Just hanging off it. Clear as day.

RedBull hole in the nose?
Is it a part of the crash structure? You say yes... And maybe I might believe you... But we do not know how the exit of the hole looks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Powy

After reading Craig's article on drivetribe and this one on f1fanatic it seems that the arrangement is as follows:

3.7.5 of the technical regulations says:
Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical
cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front
wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the
reference plane.
You can change the rods to some other shape that is aerodynamically more efficient. You just have to make sure that the elements block any line of sight parallel to the car. This ensures that the top and bottom of the "hole" are connected, i.e. any longitudinal vertical slice contains a single section.

The only thing that I don't understand about 3.7.5 is the word "open". What is an open section, and what is a section that is not open?

Powy

Here are the side views of two different vertical cuts. They illustrate the connection between the top and bottom pieces of the hole:

With respect to the "open" section, does that mean that it must not enclose any "bubble" as shown in the first vertical cut? In that case, could we just move the vertical rods slightly such that the overlap is virtually zero while simultaneously blocking any longitudinal line of sight?

bill shoe

Powy wrote:After reading Craig's article on drivetribe and this one on f1fanatic it seems that the arrangement is as follows:
Now you've ruined a very nice argumentative thread with your facts and logical analysis. =D> =D> =D>

scarbs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
scarbs wrote:Its simple, no alarm bells here, other teams have looked at the idea independently, no one inc the FIA are the least bit concerned.
Alarm bells Mr. Scarbs? Not from me. Hah. No concerns of legality either.

For me, this thread was to examine the treatment of the nose that made it legal.
I already had my version of the answer before I started the thread and was not too satisifed with explanations across the web. Not enough meat. Not enough detail in the diagrams for a technical fan. There are a few technicalities to how you make the RB nose work. An example posted in this thread was actually illegal,why? because he did not take care to space the "V" partitions properly.

For me on the crash structure ruling. It is tricky. For example, what force india did was to sandwich their rather generic cone shaped crash structure between the nostrils. The nostrils had no interference with it.
For the Lotus, it seem you guys are not talking about the nose but actually talking about the turning vanes underneath the nose... Yeah. No great interest there because it is not really a hole in the nose, it more served as turning vanes under it. I don't think the function is the same though. And again this was doing with article 3.75. That lotus grille is not part of the crash structure.

So Force India nostrils and Lotus turning vanes. Not part of the crash structure. Just hanging off it. Clear as day.

RedBull hole in the nose?
Is it a part of the crash structure? You say yes... And maybe I might believe you... But we do not know how the exit of the hole looks.
I'm glad you finally agreed with me

scarbs

No concerns of legality either.
The thread you started under was titled ‘legality’
I already had my version of the answer before I started the thread
That would have been great to see
For me on the crash structure ruling. It is tricky.
The crash structure rules are relatively straight forward, they do not demand open sections like the bodywork rules and give quite a lot of freedom aside from the tip positions and max height/widths. Red Bull can and obviously do, have a hole in the nose structure. As do most other teams, its just theirs is covered by bodywork which comes under separate rules.
The rules do not define a ‘nose’ rather separately define a crash structure and bodywork.
So Yes, we are talking about the Lotus nose, as the snow plough and legality vanes come under the bodywork one open section rules and thus are considered part of the nose bodywork. The horizontal snow plough vane created a hole in the nose bodywork, hence the reason it required the legality vanes. That is the same as Red Bull are doing with the resulting hole create in their nose bodywork by open crash structure

Exactly as we have described, there are two rules defining the nose, the crash structure and bodywork.
RedBull hole in the nose? Is it a part of the crash structure? You say yes... And maybe I might believe you... But we do not know how the exit of the hole looks.
The hole or rather the carbon structure formed around it, is part of the structure, as it’s in exactly the defined in the X and Z axis and appears the correct 9,000mm2 cross section as defined in the crash structure rules. If it wasn’t the red bull nose wouldn’t be legal, with or with out the hole. There can be no arguing about.
The exit hole has yet to be seen, but is also defined by the structure rules, just as with the front hole. So its detail is irrelevant as its legally the same the front hoke.

I will break it down with these illustrations
The nose is formed of a crash structure with relatively free rules in terms of shape or holes, to this bodywork is added, but this is not subject to the structural rules. The legality fins are not part of the nose structure, but bodywork.

Once the crash structure is defined its shape is made up of the visible structure and added-on . This must meet the single section rule.
Red Bull use bodywork fins staggered inside the nose hole such that adjacent edges line up, this allows airflow and still provides a solid face to meet the rules

When sections of the nose bodywork are taken a fin will always been part of the cross section keeping the bottom of the nose hole joined to the main cross section.

turbof1

scarbs wrote:
The crash structure rules are relatively straight forward, they do not demand open sections like the bodywork rules and give quite a lot of freedom aside from the tip positions and max height/widths. Red Bull can and obviously do, have a hole in the nose structure. As do most other teams, its just theirs is covered by bodywork which comes under separate rules.
The rules do not define a ‘nose’ rather separately define a crash structure and bodywork.
So Yes, we are talking about the Lotus nose, as the snow plough and legality vanes come under the bodywork one open section rules and thus are considered part of the nose bodywork. The horizontal snow plough vane created a hole in the nose bodywork, hence the reason it required the legality vanes. That is the same as Red Bull are doing with the resulting hole create in their nose bodywork by open crash structure

Exactly as we have described, there are two rules defining the nose, the crash structure and bodywork.
RedBull hole in the nose? Is it a part of the crash structure? You say yes... And maybe I might believe you... But we do not know how the exit of the hole looks.
The hole or rather the carbon structure formed around it, is part of the structure, as it’s in exactly the defined in the X and Z axis and appears the correct 9,000mm2 cross section as defined in the crash structure rules. If it wasn’t the red bull nose wouldn’t be legal, with or with out the hole. There can be no arguing about.
The exit hole has yet to be seen, but is also defined by the structure rules, just as with the front hole. So its detail is irrelevant as its legally the same the front hoke.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... _15879.jpg
The nose is formed of a crash structure with relatively free rules in terms of shape or holes, to this bodywork is added, but this is not subject to the structural rules. The legality fins are not part of the nose structure, but bodywork.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... _29731.jpg
Once the crash structure is defined its shape is made up of the visible structure and added-on . This must meet the single section rule.
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... 8_9844.jpg
Red Bull use bodywork fins staggered inside the nose hole such that adjacent edges line up, this allows airflow and still provides a solid face to meet the rules

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... _37124.jpg
When sections of the nose bodywork are taken a fin will always been part of the cross section keeping the bottom of the nose hole joined to the main cross section.
Hello Scarbs, great to see you around! I hope you will spend more time around as we finally get to see more technical developments this year.

I think the title should both be updated, and taken with a pinch of salt. It's a bit ambigious as in this case it can both mean "is it really legal?" or "why is it legal?". Going from context, it is the second question that is being targetted here. I changed the topic title to better reflect that.

I also agree there can be no question about whether or not this is the crash structure. The FIA is not clear on many things, but in this case they are as everything sitting in the box drawn by the regulations is considered crash structure and nothing else. PZ should not even be discussing this as this is a black and white case.

It is interesting however that you mentioned that BAR rear wing from 2004 in your previous post. Back in the day it was very, very controversial. If I am correct the FIA never corrected this in the official ruling but in a technical directive. So we can assume that said directive only applied in the rear wing area?

(Also, those are very accurate drawings from the hand!)
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Powy wrote:Here are the side views of two different vertical cuts. They illustrate the connection between the top and bottom pieces of the hole:

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view& ... DBnamZ5a1k

With respect to the "open" section, does that mean that it must not enclose any "bubble" as shown in the first vertical cut? In that case, could we just move the vertical rods slightly such that the overlap is virtually zero while simultaneously blocking any longitudinal line of sight?
Yes. the second one is legal not the first.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

scarbs wrote:

You draw almost as good as I do, Scarbs. :wink:

The same concept I have in mind but a bit different layout to the fins.

We have differences on the interpretation of the wording. I need to read the rules regarding how far back from the front wing leading edge the nose top is allowed to be.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

turbof1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
scarbs wrote:

We have differences on the interpretation of the wording. I need to read the rules regarding how far back from the front wing leading edge the nose top is allowed to be.
It needs to be roughly halfway the neutral section viewed from top down.
#AeroFrodo

scarbs

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I will wait anxiously and thoroughly look forward to your excellent drawings and in depth analysis. How soon can we seen them?

PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB13 nose: Regulatory means of legality

scarbs wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I will wait anxiously and thoroughly look forward to your excellent drawings and in depth analysis. How soon can we seen them?

Last time I did any thing in-depth was the coanda exhaust. F1 hasn't had any real aero novelty since then. The next big loophole you might see publish something here. No promises though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

The goal seems to be to make the air opening under the nose as big as possible and the body work as high as possible.
The other finger nose cars can do this easily during the season.
For Sure!!